Yesterday I was mucking about with my RAM timings on my new system (Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 mobo, Intel Celeron D 326, 2*512 MB OCZ sticks in dual channel), and right now I've got them at 3-3-3-8. This RAM is actually rated at 4-4-4-12, so I'm a little wary about what the motherboard is reporting being right. My system is stable, memtest reports no errors, and FreeBSD is fine.
Here's the memory:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227046
Welcome to the wonderful world of overclocking Smile The motherboard is what sets the timings, it can't be wrong. Although I am assuming that you ARE running the FSB at 200mhz? (so 400mhz DDR)
I love the first review of that product

Quote:
I didn't get my rebate

Pros: Actual Memory is fine

Cons: Was sold on the rebate, but it wasn't upheld.

Other Thoughts: Make sure you keep a copy of your rebate submissions so when these scumbags try to pull a fast one you at least have proof that they are scumbags

Laughing
Harq wrote:
I love the first review of that product

Quote:
I didn't get my rebate

Pros: Actual Memory is fine

Cons: Was sold on the rebate, but it wasn't upheld.

Other Thoughts: Make sure you keep a copy of your rebate submissions so when these scumbags try to pull a fast one you at least have proof that they are scumbags

0x5
ox5, hilarious. Nice job overclocking your RAM, Pyro.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Welcome to the wonderful world of overclocking Smile The motherboard is what sets the timings, it can't be wrong. Although I am assuming that you ARE running the FSB at 200mhz? (so 400mhz DDR)

Erm, the usual FSB on this processor is 133 MHz (533 effective, quad pumped), so 533 MHz DDR (memory multiplier of 4).
Quote:

Err... Confused Thank you but I think you mean Tari...
pyro_xp2k wrote:
Quote:

Err... Confused Thank you but I think you mean Tari...
Meh. Yay to me for reading comprehension skills. Yes, that's what I meant.
The Tari wrote:
Erm, the usual FSB on this processor is 133 MHz (533 effective, quad pumped), so 533 MHz DDR (memory multiplier of 4).

Huh, didn't know that. But thats why you can so easily lower the RAM timings. The timings that the box says are what its rated for AT FULL SPEED. Since you bought DDR667 RAM, and are only running it at 533mhz (i'm assuming you are running the RAM with a 1:1 CPU ratio), it still has room left to lower the timings.
Yeah, I figured that out when I overclocked my FSB up to 667 MHz. Now my timings are 3-4-3-8, which is still quite good.
Wait, you OC'd your FSB to 166mhz or just your RAM to 166mhz (DDR2 667)? There is a big difference. If you upped your FSB to 166mhz, your CPU would also be overclocked, and thats a bit of a jump, so the CPUs stability would come into question then...
Yes, I upped the FSB to 166, so the processor is now running at 3.13 GHz. I haven't done any stability testing, but I expect I'll need to up my vcore some, if not rather a lot.
Make sure you got decent cooling before upping the vcore. Prime95's torture test is a good way to check CPU stability...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours