ATI or Nvidia?
Nvidia
 100%  [ 9 ]
ATI
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

I was wondering what your preferences were in regards to video cards. Frankly I like Nvidia (But i really like AMD and it bought ATI gosh darn it... atleast i think it did...)
Why no intel integrated choice? Laughing

Truthfully, I've got Intel integrated in all 3 of my comps... I'm going to be either building or buying one this year though, and it definitely WON'T have it.
I prefer nVidia. Reason #1, Linux.
I don't have an answer until I buy a videocard. Here's as clear as it gets:
Whichever doesn't take two slots, has the most performance for the price, biased towards nVidia (Linux)
I prefer nVidia for dual grapics (SLI is more efficient than crossfire), but ATI has open-source drivers for Linux... My current card is an ATI, because it was the best card in my price range, and my board doesn't support SLI or Crossfire. Still, I voted nVidia.
The Tari wrote:
I prefer nVidia for dual grapics (SLI is more efficient than crossfire), but ATI has open-source drivers for Linux... My current card is an ATI, because it was the best card in my price range, and my board doesn't support SLI or Crossfire. Still, I voted nVidia.

ATI's drivers aren't completely OSS, last I checked. That could be outdated knowledge though.
With Omega drivers, an ATI Radeon is a tough contender. If I could vote I would vote ATI. If the sale is still going on, you can/could buy an AGP Radeon X850 for around $100 directly from ATI. Just a warning though, my dad has had trouble with it putting it in my brother's new computer. It might just be the mobo though.
The Tari wrote:

Actually, Crossfire has better multi-GPU support. The design (wtf is with the dongle?) is stupid, but otherwise it is far better than SLI both in terms of splitting the load (checkerboard 32x32 split FTW!), and in terms of fallback modes (aka, crossfire actually HAS a fallback, nvidia's "fallback" just turns off SLI, so without game profiles in the drivers, you are SOL if you have SLI) ATI also has 3 modes (checkerboard, AFR - alternate frame rendering, and SFR - split frame rendering), whereas nvidia's SLI only has two (AFR and SFR)

ATI does NOT have OSS drivers (not official ones anyway) Older cards can be supported by the "radeon" driver, which is a reverse engineering. The official drivers (fglrx) are closed source, and are very poor compared to nVidia's linux drivers. Hence the sole reason I chose nVidia (hell, ATI didn't support the X1xxx series in linux until a couple months ago!)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours