As many of you are aware, I'm putting together a holiday treasure hunt, the specifics of which I'm keeping secret until the day the hunt launches, because I don't want players to be able to scout out possible locations ahead of time (or watch them for activity) on the basis of clues I might give.

The hunt itself will launch on Sunday, December 23rd, at the earliest time I am able to announce it's beginning and post the clues. Please tune in to this thread on that day.

In the time between now and then, I am preparing six (6) shulker boxes worth of loot. This means that there will be 6 treasures to find. As of now, 3 of them are filled. If you have any materials of value that you would like to share with this event, please bring them to my base and either place them into the chest marked with a spruce tree in an item frame, or fill up one of the empty shulker boxes in the manner you would like. This setup may be found on the same level as my nether portal. For those who do not know, my base it located to the Northwest. It is connected to the nether network and can be accessed by taking the clay brick segway from tifreak's tunnel.

In addition to the hunt, donatees can place wagers on which of the boxes will be found first. Upon placing their wager into the marked wager chest (to the right of the boxes), they may select one of the shulker boxes and then either them or I will rename the shulker box to their name. This part of the contest is simple. If your box is among the first three found, you win a % of the total wager. The first box up wins 50%, the second wins 30%, the third wins 20%.
This sounds very exciting! I fear that with Christmas festivities I may not be able to participate right at the beginning, but I hope you make it challenging enough that even latecomers have a chance. Very Happy Good luck to all.
Awesome! I'd be happy to donate an Unbreaking III + Mending Elytra for one of the loot boxes if you haven't already got one? I might have a couple of interesting diamond tools as well, I'll have to check my storage.
KermMartian wrote:
This sounds very exciting! I fear that with Christmas festivities I may not be able to participate right at the beginning, but I hope you make it challenging enough that even latecomers have a chance. Very Happy Good luck to all.

I *believe* that this hunt will be challenging enough that the boxes may not all be found. But we shall see.

JamesV wrote:
Awesome! I'd be happy to donate an Unbreaking III + Mending Elytra for one of the loot boxes if you haven't already got one? I might have a couple of interesting diamond tools as well, I'll have to check my storage.

I have no elytra for the event yet, I'll happily accept one.

Oh, it's worth note here, although it should go without say, since I will be the one hiding the chests, I will not be participating in finding them :p
ACagliano wrote:
I *believe* that this hunt will be challenging enough that the boxes may not all be found. But we shall see.
That's the best kind of hunt.

ACagliano wrote:
Oh, it's worth note here, although it should go without say, since I will be the one hiding the chests, I will not be participating in finding them :p
I hope our members are smart enough to know that. Razz
As the launch date of the event approaches, there are ~5 days before I would like to have the boxes ready to go. At present, there are only 2 middle-slots left to be filled, which I typically will do with a very useful item (trident, elytra, etc). I can fill the remaining two slots myself, but I'll leave the floor open to anyone else who has something so that there's some diversity in the boxes.

For anyone who has given materials to the hunt, there is a second part to the contest, what I've dubbed the "wager". You may put a select amount of stackable ores or gems into the wager chest and a box will be named for you. I've come up with, off the top of my head, a recommended minimum for ores:
- 32 iron ore / ingots, lapis lazuli
- 24 gold ingots / ore, redstone ore
- 16 diamonds
- 8 emeralds
- 6 diamond ore
- 3 emerald ore, cemetech gems.
Other acceptable items: dragons breath, ghast tears, prismarine, coral, elytra, tridents.
Here's how the wager works:
1. When you submit an amount of materials, I match 50% of your wager. This means, for instance, that if you put in 32 iron ore, it will be treated as 46 iron ore.
2. A shulker box is renamed to your name and buried along with the rest of the treasure.
3. If the box with your name is recovered first (regardless of who finds it), you win 200% of your wager.
4. If the box with your name is recovered second, you win 150% of your wager.
5. If the box with your name is recovered third, you win 110% of your wager.
6. If there are any wager materials remaining, other wager participants split remainder.
7. If you find your own box during the hunt, AND participated in the wager, you can win 250% for 1st place, 200% for 2nd place, and 150% for third place, and 125% for anyone else.
Do my pre-existing contributions count, seeing as I donated a whole lot of stuff, or is the wager separate from the donation?
There is a good to fair chance I will be starting the hunt earlier than intended. This should give people some extra time to look for the boxes before their holiday festivities start.
ACagliano wrote:
There is a good to fair chance I will be starting the hunt earlier than intended. This should give people some extra time to look for the boxes before their holiday festivities start.
Any idea when? I'll likely have some time to potentially play today through Saturday, but Sunday onwards is a challenge.
If all goes to plan, I could launch overnight, or tomorrow morning.
Ladies and Gentlemen, the much anticipated holiday treasure hunt has officially begun. I have scattered six (6) shulker boxes full of loot throughout the map. Your key to finding them is to decipher a riddle that will give you a clue as to where to look. But first, let me review the rules of the hunt. Please read them ALL.

1) Firstly, have fun!

2) No asking me for help deciphering the riddle. Work it out on your own or in teams. Yes, you may work in teams and split the loot.

3) No texture packs that help you identify the shulker box. This should go without say... THAT IS XRAY. Xray is not allowed on this server.

4) I'll ask, in the sense of fair play, that if you find one of the boxes, you refrain from trying to find another one until a good amount of time has passed. Give other players a chance to find them.

5) When you find a box, please look at the name of the box. PM me, Discord me, or post in the thread here that you have found a box, as well as the name of the box (that will be needed for the wager).

=======================================

This hunt will last until New Years Eve, at which time I will better mark the site of the boxes and allow players to continue looking until they are all found.

Every day, at an undisclosed time, I will post a new clue IN MY BASE, near the setup area. It will be in the top row of item frames and named for the Day the clue is for. You may choose to view the clue if you want, but DO NOT TAKE THE ORIGINAL. Make a copy if you want.

On Thursday, December 27th, if boxes still remain to be found, Zoom level 0 maps of the box locations will be placed in my base where the boxes were set up during preparation. I will ask that you COPY the maps if you want a copy of them, DO NOT TAKE THE ORIGINALS.

Your first clue is this:

It's holiday time, time to embark on a festive quest.
Find something you decorate your best.
Beneath me you'll find your chest.
I found the first box! ^_^

This post corresponds to Clue # 5. Please refer to the Clue board for information on how it relates to the boxes. Only Boxes remaining to be found are included.

BOX 1

BOX 3

BOX 4

BOX 5
I found box 3.
I found box 1 Smile

I found box #5 Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours