CoolModder wrote:
Very sorry for the Necropost. Did you find a way to convert a ROM to a 8xp file? I can't figure out how to do it, and it is one of the last things I need to do.

Please refer to this comment: https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=275993#275993
Please refer to this comment:
https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=276003#276003
I'd look into turning a ROM into an appvar, but for testing purposes you could include a test ROM in your project by linking or just as regular data, such as the NESTEST ROM that I converted here: https://pastebin.com/QLiZLJyH

You can use something like SPASM with it's #import preprocessor or perhaps even fasmg with I believe the 'file' directive to convert a data file to a TI-format file.
I am doing this as practice. It doesn't matter if you think it isn't possible, or if anyone does. It doesn't matter if it is a stupid question, this question wasn't even intended for you, as you immediately think that its impossible, when really, this could be the thing that works. I intend to try Mateo. And that's all that matters.

Also,
tr1p1ea wrote:
I'd look into turning a ROM into an appvar, but for testing purposes you could include a test ROM in your project by linking or just as regular data, such as the NESTEST ROM that I converted here: https://pastebin.com/QLiZLJyH

You can use something like SPASM with it's #import preprocessor or perhaps even fasmg with I believe the 'file' directive to convert a data file to a TI-format file.

Thank you for your suggestion tr1p1ea! I will look into SPASM!
The toolchain includes a tool called convbin which can convert binary files into appvars, so no need to use an assembler.
The command would be something like convbin -i myfile.rom -o MYFILE.8xv --iformat bin --oformat 8xv --name MYFILE --archive
commandblockguy wrote:
The toolchain includes a tool called convbin which can convert binary files into appvars, so no need to use an assembler.
The command would be something like convbin -i myfile.rom -o MYFILE.8xv --iformat bin --oformat 8xv --name MYFILE --archive

Success! Thank you so much! Now to fix graphics...
CoolModder wrote:
I am doing this as practice. It doesn't matter if you think it isn't possible, or if anyone does. It doesn't matter if it is a stupid question, this question wasn't even intended for you, as you immediately think that its impossible, when really, this could be the thing that works. I intend to try Mateo. And that's all that matters.

What do you want me to say? Give you advice like the other people here where you will end up wasting time and accomplishing nothing, or do you want the honest fact that this is impossible?

I'm not being rude or mean. I'm saying it is impossible. Anything you do *will not work* - it's more rude to give unhelpful advice in this case.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
CoolModder wrote:

What do you want me to say? Give you advice like the other people here where you will end up wasting time and accomplishing nothing, or do you want the honest fact that this is impossible?

I'm not being rude or mean. I'm saying it is impossible. Anything you do *will not work* - it's more rude to give unhelpful advice in this case.

It's important to be realistic about what is and isn't possible, but at the same time, just saying "that will never work" is quite rude, doesn't teach anyone anything, and is ineffective at convincing people that something isn't possible or worth their time.

I think that everyone who decides to work on a calculator project is aware that it's a very limited platform. Nobody is making calculator games because they expect it to be easy. Anyone who would be convinced to stop working on a project by "well that's never going to work" isn't going to be working on these types of projects to begin with. If you want people to actually pay attention, you'll need to explain what you think won't work and (at least at a high level) why. Something like "porting this program isn't going to give you a playable frame rate because it was optimized for source code size over performance, and as a result uses an emulation method with a very high overhead per instruction" is far more helpful, convincing, informative, and polite than "well that's impossible."

You're also making assumptions about the goals of the project. If the goal is to port an existing NES emulator to the CE and have it be capable of running all games at their original framerate, then sure, that's probably impossible. But it's still a pretty interesting project that you could learn a lot from even if playable performance is not the target, and without the performance constraint it's definitely not impossible.

And even if a project is completely impossible, that doesn't mean that it's not worthwhile to work on it and find out for yourself what, specifically, makes it impossible. I've learned more from my projects that didn't work, and could never have worked, than I did on the ones that I've completed. Obviously you shouldn't say things that will set other people's expectations unrealistically high. But at the same time, if someone is working on a project in order to learn stuff, you shouldn't refuse to teach them things that they are interested in learning, just because you don't think that their final product isn't possible.
CoolModder wrote:
Very sorry for the Necropost. Did you find a way to convert a ROM to a 8xp file? I can't figure out how to do it, and it is one of the last things I need to do.

Great question! I've developed a few NES games here and there and remember the development of the TI-Boy Emulator. I believe you are going to have to create one from scratch, but here is a link to how TI-Boy does it. I also believe you need to ask permission if you want to use the code.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours