I got bored so I decided to take apart my CE and make teardown guide while doing it! I've completed the guide and published it to iFixit. Please let me know if I can improve the guide!
I'm making a video to go along with it, however that's going to take me a while to finish of course.

Here's what the CE look like once you've disassembled it. (I didn't remove the motherboard because it's heat-melted to the shell and I didn't want to break the holds) If someone else is willing to remove the motherboard, please share some images of it here!
I can forsee all of your memory being cleared when piecing everything together. Wink

So, how exactly is the Ti 84 Plus CE able to turn on via the reset button, and plugging in a cable?
Looks like a pre-A from between 01/15 and 05/15 Evil or Very Mad
Did you happen to take some high quality pics of the board (good enough to read what's on the chips) or did you note them down?
This is a known and documented revision, but I've seen instances where TI changed things but kept the same hardware revision Rolling Eyes
Shiny, you're right. Whenever you remove the battery and put it back in, the RAM is cleared. However, Cesium's external backup fixes that issue.

Mr womp womp, you got it! It's an L-0315 Nice guess! (unless you looked at my MyCalc profile Razz)
I doubt it's anything special and it's kinda hard to read, but here's the internals:

necro-Edit (2020): Added a high resolution photo of the front side of the TI-84 Plus CE's PCB where the keypad normally is.

necro-Edit (2021): I refer to this topic a lot, I may as well link the super-high res photo of the PCB so it's all in one place.
I was thinking RAM & ARC would be cleared by disassembling the flash chips, etc..
Are there differences in the hardware when new boot codes are introduced?
What does the keypad rubber parts look like?
TimmyTurner62 wrote:
What does the keypad rubber parts look like?

I'm not 100% sure, but from what I could see through the holes in the PCB, I do not believe it's a connected membrane like some keyboards have. I think there's just one separate rubber piece per key. So I'm pretty sure you could buy a cheap, broken CE and just replace the button that's damaged.
Hopefully someone else knows exactly what they look like.

A question: If I were to decide to break the plastic bits so I could remove the motherboard, what would be the best way to break them? Also, what would be the best way to re-secure the motherboard when I put everything back together?
maybe using a soldering iron to melt the plastic, although you might need a medium heat one...
I wouldn't recommend damaging your calculator if it isn't necessary. I've actually never even heard of anyone taking a CE apart more than you did, so I'm pretty sure very few people have any insightful advice on how to go about it anyway.
Here's my attempt at a detailed PCB image.
DrDnar wrote:
Here's my attempt at a detailed PCB image.

Awesome lighting and quality!
Now get a very recent hw rev and do the same Razz

In the meantime, here's precisely the rev L PCB, with an interactive image diff comparing it to rev I: https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22282

Notably the oscillator has been replaced by a shorter one (and in particular its red epoxy glue is gone, along with resistors at the top):
Any sources of cheap, broken CE's other than eBay? Seems like prices there are pretty steep even for those that are broken.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours