Does anyone know if it would be possible to share my internet connection from my laptop to my new Linux box?

DSL --wifi--> Laptop --CAT6 switch--> Linux Box

Any ideas, and if so, how can i pull this off? I tried setting it up, but it tells me the IP it needs for IP autoaddressing is already taken...
with 2K/XP, it should be, set up lappy for ICS (internet connection sharing), and then set your linux's defaule gateway to 192.168.0.1
That's my routers IP address on the wifi, so i cant use that...
ok, in your lappy you have wifi and ehternet, right?

when the wifi is set to share internet connection, the ethernet takes the static address of 192.168.0.1. As long as that ethernet is not on the wifi router, you are fine, trust me, I have done this.
Problem is that it wont let me... I just get error messages..
Try to get a DHCP server for the pc that is running ICS.
Didnt work... I'll just take it back downstairs and try wiring it back into the DSL modem...
You probably don't want to spend any money, but you *could* just get a wifi card for the linux box. ~$40 could get you a decent one, and if you do a little research ahead of time, you could get one with good linux support (read: native drivers). Some wifi chipsets even have built in kernel drivers....

I gots a question though. You said you had a CAT6 switch in between the laptop and linux box - couldn't just using a crossover cable work as well? (would probably make it easier)
true, it does do the trick, unless you want more than one comp to use that internet.
Why can't you just run regular CAT5e or CAT6 between the switch and the linux box? Am I missing something here?
No, I was saying remove the switch entirely, and directly connect the two computers via a crossover cable
Ah. My idea is this then:

Code:
DSL-->Switch-->WiFi-->Laptop
           +-->Cat6-->Linux Box

Code:
DSL-->Switch-->WiFi-->Laptop
           +-->Cat6 *crossover-->Linux Box

You must use a crossover cable to directly link two computers or there is a *slight* chance that it will damage the harware (of course, it won't work if its not a crossover cable, either Smile )
But I'm assuming the switch has at least two downlink ports, and hooking the wifi router to one and the cat6 to the linux box to the other.
Oh, w00ps, i misread your chart. I thought you were doing the + thing to continue it on a new line without the word wrap breaking it, not to show that it was splitting from the wifi router... heh, my bad Smile
That wont work... see, the wifi is built into the DSL router...
...and it doesn't have an ethernet port? Our DSL modem/wifi/router all-in-one unit does, and its a cheap one they gave us when we signed up for 1 year of service....
it does.... i want the comp upstairs in my room though...

i got that problem fixed, now my problem is that i need an AMD64 compatible version of Skype for Linux... the only one they have is (augh) i386
You could use a 32-bit chroot environment to run Skype from.
alex10819 wrote:
it does.... i want the comp upstairs in my room though...

i got that problem fixed, now my problem is that i need an AMD64 compatible version of Skype for Linux... the only one they have is (augh) i386

Lemme see what gentoo does...

[addition]
It uses emulation whatnot... to be expected....

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours