Hey guys, so, for a while I've been wanting to make my YouTube channel more of a real thing, but right now it is just some videos of me playing the cello, a bunch of game streams from my ps4, and one video of me playing random crap on my 3ds.

I was wondering what kinds of content you guys would enjoy or watch?
I'd like PS4 showcases, and maybe showcases for other consoles and handhelds. Maybe if you're into calculators as well, you could do tutorials in programming or reviews for programs you find here, ticalc, etc.
TimmyTurner62 wrote:
I'd like PS4 showcases, and maybe showcases for other consoles and handhelds.

That is great, because I have quite a few consoles and handhelds, hehe.
And what do you specifically mean by "showcases"?

TimmyTurner62 wrote:
Maybe if you're into calculators as well, you could do tutorials in programming or reviews for programs you find here, ticalc, etc.

I am definitely into calculators, I have quite a few, and I enjoy programming them. I'm pretty terrible at it though, so maybe tutorials would be a bad idea 😂
Pieman7373 wrote:
TimmyTurner62 wrote:
I'd like PS4 showcases, and maybe showcases for other consoles and handhelds.

That is great, because I have quite a few consoles and handhelds, hehe.
And what do you specifically mean by "showcases"?

TimmyTurner62 wrote:
Maybe if you're into calculators as well, you could do tutorials in programming or reviews for programs you find here, ticalc, etc.

I am definitely into calculators, I have quite a few, and I enjoy programming them. I'm pretty terrible at it though, so maybe tutorials would be a bad idea 😂

By Showcases, I mean new games. If you get a new game, a youtube video of you playing that might get you good reviews, likes, and/or loves.

If you ever have problems with a program, please let me look at it. I'm not too good either. However, if I find a way to fix it, you'll get the code first thing, and no one else. That will be all up to you.
I will do that,Timmy! I'll probably showcase every new game I get, once my hdmi capture box thingy gets in

By the way, here is my channel
Before you read: I'm not a youtuber myself, I don't know what works and what doesn't. I'm just stating my opinion on videos.
I don't like it when youtubers put no effort into their videos and pump out bad content. I've seen many small youtubers post unedited videos of themselves playing a game for an hour, and that's just not enjoyable to watch. The youtubers I like edit out the boring/silent parts and make a lot of good jokes. Try to keep silence to a minimum too.
slimeenergy wrote:
I've seen many small youtubers post unedited videos of themselves playing a game for an hour, and that's just not enjoyable to watch. The youtubers I like edit out the boring/silent parts and make a lot of good jokes. Try to keep silence to a minimum too.

I guess I shouldn't post the 2 hour video I have of me recapping a sega gamegear then 😂😂
I am thinking of maybe doing a livestream where I attempt to make a ti-basic (possibly maybe C) program within 30 minutes that does a certain thing or something. I actually might not even be good enough at programming for that... I don't think anyone actually cares anyways Crying
You should livestream ksp
mr womp womp wrote:
You should livestream ksp

I will do that once I have the ability to, any other suggestions?
If you want your youtube channel to be a little famous, like at least 1000 subs, then I heard that you have to post every day for 4 weeks straight. And you have to put at least 2 hours into every video that you make, whether that time is spent on video editing, planning, or making the video itself. I have a youtube channel with roughly almost 200 subs (please sub if you read this. It's about calculators and programming), and my channel is growing slowly because I don't have the time for my channel. If you have the time, then take advantage. Your ideas you suggested yourself will definitely be enough. You just need good-quality-videos (why I said 2 hours each video).
M I N E C R A F T

I like the programming idea, If you want to do showcases/ stream your gaming, try poking the Kermit for help?
dunlavdy wrote:
If you want your youtube channel to be a little famous, like at least 1000 subs, then I heard that you have to post every day for 4 weeks straight. And you have to put at least 2 hours into every video that you make, whether that time is spent on video editing, planning, or making the video itself. I have a youtube channel with roughly almost 200 subs (please sub if you read this. It's about calculators and programming), and my channel is growing slowly because I don't have the time for my channel. If you have the time, then take advantage. Your ideas you suggested yourself will definitely be enough. You just need good-quality-videos (why I said 2 hours each video).

My advice: Don't beg for subscribers. Otherwise, you might end up with a Youtube channel that gets a 5% like to view ratio and a 10% view to sub ratio. Those subscribers you beg for aren't legitimately earned. They probably aren't going to view your content just because you begged for them to. They'll watch content they want to watch, not content they're told they want to watch. You may argue that they may like it after subscribing, but that doesn't matter because if they like it before subscribing, they'll subscribe. If they like it they'll subscribe, it shouldn't be the other way around.

On to my next point: Subscribers don't matter. Make videos because you want to make videos. Just making videos for the recognition of others rather than your own enjoyment will easily make you burn yourself out. Your video making schedule should be natural. If you really don't want to make a video tomorrow, then don't. "But WHAT will my subscribers EVER do!?!" Subscribers don't matter. Make what you want to make because you want to make it. Do not make what others want you to make even though you don't want to make it.

If I make a video I don't follow a static time limit that I have to reach, I just keep developing the video until it's something I like. I usually spend a lot more than two hours, but it depends on the type of video. If it's just commentary then edit out the boring and unnecessary parts, add some fancy edits, and you're done. You don't need to spend two hours on that.

Don't make video schedules unless it's your job. This ties in with my point that you should have a natural schedule. If you love video making, you're going to make a video daily because you want to, not because you want subscribers. Just having a number go up is not worth your hours of effort. Just having a number go up is not even worth five minutes!

TLDR; Read the post.
I think my favorite YouTube channel explains how to be a successful youtuber nicely.
I agree with slime energy, don't beg for subscribers YouTube has basically removed their importance other than bragging rights anymore. What you want to focus on is quality and watch time. YouTube is really focusing on how long people watch your videos.

Anyways I wouldn't mind seeing some KSP videos or videos spotlighting recent Archive uploads. If you need help finding any good software to use I'm happy to share what I use!
Minecraft is booming and content is easy.
Pieman7373 wrote:
...a bunch of game streams from my ps4...

I was wondering what kinds of content you guys would enjoy or watch?

I do not enjoy watching game streams. I, of course, am not the voice of everyone, but I do thoroughly enjoy highlight reels. SovietWomble, ChaBoyHD, and Drae (formerly Draegast). Drae probably is a hybrid of gameplay + highlights, as he mostly plays a continuous game but cuts it down to the important/exciting bits. Rather than watch him build something in a game he'll cut that part out. The other two channels are streamers that then post highlights spanning many games (over months) to their channels as a single video; usually a 10 minute video. I stopped watching ChaBoy a while ago but Soviet is has a very entertaining format which is broken down by Project Kino.

Also channels like NerdWriter, Every Frame a Painting, SmarterEveryDay, and Tom Scott are some of my favorite knowledge based channels. Additionally, I've been weirdly enjoying How Ridiculous these last few months.

If you can take an idea and do it your way, you'll build an audience. Don't do something because we enjoy it, do something because you enjoy it and keep doing it. It'll be easier to get an audience if you have predictability. Strive to make 2 videos a week but only post one a week. This will give you time to build up an idea and then deliver it consistently. Over time change the format or the way you do something but only in one video. So that way you can see which video gets more engagement. Don't stress over followers, focus on people commenting on your videos and answering your questions.

I'm no expert in this field, but I've been to a few marketing brown-bags at work, read articles about stuff like this, and even experiemented a bit myself so I'd like to think I have some sort of knowledge surrounding in regards to this.
You just got some new vintage computer equipment, correct? Why not make videos on that? Very Happy

I love videos from YouTubers such as LGR (as you know) and I love how his videos in particular combine education about older electronic equipment with having fun and just playing around. (Have you seen the follow-up dot-matrix printer video yet? Razz)

I'm not suggesting you do exactly what he does, but his videos are nicely laid out and they are really appealing and easy to watch. I could use some of the things he does in his videos as well, as I am also a beginning YouTuber.

Those are my thoughts. Very Happy

Also, maybe some videos on calculators would be fun Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours