Pretty soon I'm going to be less busy than I have been recently, which means I will have more time to work on projects. I've noticed that I have so many ideas for projects that I realistically will not be able to finish all of them, so I have to prioritize them somehow. One criterion I am using to decide what projects to work on is community interest, as there is not much point in making a program if nobody will use it. In order to determine community interest, I have decided to do a poll of sorts. Reply with which projects you would be most interested in seeing and why.

A. USB serial driver for the CE: This would allow the CE to communicate with a wide variety of devices. Right now it only works with pure CDC (basically just Arduino), but I would like to have it support more chips, including FTDIs.

B. Tanks! CE: A clone of the Wii Play game. Currently mostly functional besides AI and graphics.

C. ICE tweaks: Small improvements to ICE and the editor hooks. Currently I'm thinking about making Det( statements display as the actual function name, adding a shortcut to compile from the BASIC editor, adding floating point functions, and user defined functions with returns and arguments.

D. Custom OS's for the CE: Overwrite the part of the boot code that does OS validation. A custom OS would allow you to do all sorts of stuff.

E. Interrupt handling: Would require a custom OS to work. Basically, I would just change the OS so that every time an interrupt occurs, it calls every function on a user-definable list. This might be useful for USB functions, which are supposed to happen asynchronously.

F. Other USB projects. Things like MIDI or HID.

G. A compiled language for the CE. Would feature a type system of some kind.

H. Emulation of a monochrome calc on a CE. This one is probably too ambitious for me right now, but I'm including it anyway because why not.

I. Arcade game port: Maybe Galaga or Dig Dug?

J. 3D printing from a CE: My DaVinci printer is compatible with my serial driver, so I might be able to print a CE model using a CE. This would basically just be regurgitating gcode, I'm not porting a slicer.
Nice! That's quite a few projects. I'm interested to see you finish Tanks, first and foremost.

My other favorites that I would like to see are H and I. H is definitely ambitious, but it would be an incredible accomplishment if you were to do it.
Cool projects! I also am interested in Tanks. Would it be possible to add the ability to play against a human over the link port?

Project A looks very interesting as well. Would it be possible to build an adapter to adapt the USB port on the CE to a minijack that takes advantage of this driver (if it would need a driver like this at all)? This idea might fall under F though.

I would be awesome. Galaga would be awesome to have on a calculator, but I would also love to see one of my personal favorites, Wizard of Wor, ported to a calc. Very Happy
RogerWilco wrote:
Cool projects! I also am interested in Tanks. Would it be possible to add the ability to play against a human over the link port?

You mean USB? CE's don't have link ports Wink
If so, then maybe if a working USB serial driver/ communications thing gets made, which hasn't been done as of now
SM84CE wrote:
RogerWilco wrote:

You mean USB? CE's don't have link ports Wink
If so, then maybe if a working USB serial driver/ communications thing gets made, which hasn't been done as of now

Yeah that's what I mean. I'm just so used to referring to the minijacks on the older calcs as link ports and I figured since the CE only had USB it wouldn't make a difference. Very Happy
commandblockguy wrote:
Pretty soon I'm going to be less busy than I have been recently, which means I will have more time to work on projects. I've noticed that I have so many ideas for projects that I realistically will not be able to finish all of them, so I have to prioritize them somehow. One criterion I am using to decide what projects to work on is community interest, as there is not much point in making a program if nobody will use it. In order to determine community interest, I have decided to do a poll of sorts. Reply with which projects you would be most interested in seeing and why.

A. USB serial driver for the CE: This would allow the CE to communicate with a wide variety of devices. Right now it only works with pure CDC (basically just Arduino), but I would like to have it support more chips, including FTDIs.

B. Tanks! CE: A clone of the Wii Play game. Currently mostly functional besides AI and graphics.

C. ICE tweaks: Small improvements to ICE and the editor hooks. Currently I'm thinking about making Det( statements display as the actual function name, adding a shortcut to compile from the BASIC editor, adding floating point functions, and user defined functions with returns and arguments.

D. Custom OS's for the CE: Overwrite the part of the boot code that does OS validation. A custom OS would allow you to do all sorts of stuff.

E. Interrupt handling: Would require a custom OS to work. Basically, I would just change the OS so that every time an interrupt occurs, it calls every function on a user-definable list. This might be useful for USB functions, which are supposed to happen asynchronously.

F. Other USB projects. Things like MIDI or HID.

G. A compiled language for the CE. Would feature a type system of some kind.

H. Emulation of a monochrome calc on a CE. This one is probably to ambitious for me right now, but I'm including it anyway because why not.

I. Arcade game port: Maybe Galaga or Dig Dug?

J. 3D printing from a CE: My DaVinci printer is compatible with my serial driver, so I might be able to print a CE model using a CE. This would basically just be regurgitating gcode, I'm not porting a slicer.

D sounds most interesting to me.
About J, I was wondering if my LG SP60NB50 (Slim Portable DVD Writer) would also work with a CE, even though the CE doesn't look like a decent power source.
I'd like you to focus on finishing A first, after that though F then H then J would be the next ones. F because my friend and I want to do a project with MIDI and H and J because those sound really cool!
I completely missed H. That would be amazing to do at some point. Emulation of the 84+SE would be amazing because it would open up a large number of assembly programs that would otherwise be incompatible. The only possible problem I could foresee is the size of the emulator and files used in and by the emulator.

I look forward to all that you make! Very Happy Graphing Calculator

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours