Alright, this is the first Cemetech contest I'm participating in, so I don't expect a sweeping victory or anything.
Considering my track record with other projects, don't be surprised if I don't even finish this contest entry :3

Anyways, the game is called "Hopeless Starship", and it is written in C for the TI 84+CE.

It is going to be mostly text-based, where you design a starship under a money-constraint, and then you travel through the cosmos, attempting to find a new planet for humans to colonize. As you travel, you're presented with multiple situations that you have to make a decision on.

The game takes a lot of inspiration from an Android game I can't currently remember the name of, but I've added in a lot of customization to the ship.

The customization works by changing various attributes of various subsystems on the starship, and these changes will weigh/affect the outcomes of various situations you will find yourself in on the journey.

The goal of the game isn't simply to win, it is to win well. So, basically, losing will be quite difficult, unless you're trying to lose, and you will be given a score when you win, depending on how well you did.

You will have to design a good starship, and make good choices when in situations, to be able to get a good score.

This is going to be quite difficult for me, because I have yet to actually complete a CE project, and I've never actually designed a game before. I've spent about three days of planning stuff, but I haven't actually planned the story out that much. The story is going to have to be rather large, because of all the possible branches of the storyline you could follow with different starship designs.

So, I hope that, even if I don't place in this contest, I can actually get a game for the CE done, for people to enjoy.

I've been waiting for a few days before making this post, so I could get some progress done and see if I like what I've gotten done.
I'll be posting recordings and screenshots, and stuff and things.
Here's two videos. Note that neither of them are complete, but they are substantial amounts of code.

Note that all the animations you see are nice and smooth on a physical calculator, they just don't look as smooth because of stuff with framerate and your monitor. (They look fine on my 144hz monitor though, #brag)

The first video is from when you first enter the ship design screen, and it shows you various subsystems and their properties.
Note that not all subsystems are shown, and that all the values are just placeholder, to get a feel for the look of the screen.
The "UI" part isn't even done, this is just a fancy animation I spent some time on:

And the second on is from when you first enter the beginning of the game, after designing your starship.
This screen is also incomplete, and is just to showcase the animation.
The animation is randomized, so it will be different nearly every time you see it.
Wow. Nice animations. And is that a custom font?
epsilon5 wrote:

Thanks Smile

The font is custom, but it's not mine, it's called "Metropolis", and is available here
KryptonicDragon wrote:
epsilon5 wrote:

Thanks Smile

The font is custom, but it's not mine, it's called "Metropolis", and is available here

Quick question: How exactly did you make that into a font for the 84 CE and can it be used in ICE?
TimmyTurner62 wrote:
Quick question: How exactly did you make that into a font for the 84 CE and can it be used in ICE?

I used a Python script to convert a OpenType Font file into a bunch of sprite data. Then wrote my own methods that I pass a string to, to print. It could be done in ICE, but it would be far more difficult.
Hey, guys, guess what? As if some witch cursed me with something to prevent me from ever finishing a CE project, I'll have to withdraw from CC22.

I'm in the process of feeling like I'm dying, because I've been dealing with a wonderful middle-ear infection that's severe to the point to where the first antibiotics I was prescribed weren't powerful enough. I've been suffering with this for the last three weeks, so I simply don't have the time. I have to go to school for the remaining days of this month, and I have to make up all the work I didn't do while absent. I won't have time to work on Hopeless Starship for at least another month.

Good luck, y'all.
That's terrible! I hope you get better soon, ear infections really suck.
For some advice: Don't take the lemons, burn those witches' houses down! You need to finish a CE program!
TheLastMillennial wrote:
That's terrible! I hope you get better soon, ear infections really suck.
For some advice: Don't take the lemons, burn those witches' houses down! You need to finish a CE program!

lol, same opinion. Ear infections are terrible. Get well soon!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours