this isn't really a quine since it involves reading external data, but whatever. also please don't ban me.

So, earlier today I discovered a few things about the bots that reside here at #cemetech.

Nikkybot has a command where you can type "nikkybot: (text) more like", to which it will respond:

Code:
(text)
more like
(generally unrelated, random text)

DoorsCS has a command, "~cemetech search (query)", which will find a Cemetech topic with a similar name and respond:

Code:
(page name) - Cemetech | Forum | (subforum) ...: <https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=(id)>

DoorsCS's "~cemetech" command is also whitelisted for "~give", so you can prepend it with "~give (username) " and the response will be prepended with "(username): ".

Naturally, the question arises of whether these two bots can communicate with each other. The answer is yes! Nikkybot can give DoorsCS commands and DoorsCS can trigger nikkybot. Neither bot appears to be able to trigger itself but I haven't really tested DoorsCS extensively on this.

So, if I were to give this forum thread the wonderfully concise topic of: "~give nikkybot cemetech search nikkybot cemetech search more like", someone in IRC could then run a command, and then IRC would look like the following:
Hypothetical Situation wrote:

<someoneInIRC> ~give nikybot cemetech search nikkybot cemetech search more like
<DoorsCS> nikkybot: ~give nikkybot cemetech search nikkybot cemetech search more like | Cemetech | Forum | Gen...: <https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=278701>
<nikkybot> ~give nikkybot cemetech search nikkybot cemetech search
<nikkybot> more like
<nikkybot> fclose
<nikkybot> the ratings for DCS7
<nikkybot> I think that works better Smile
<DoorsCS> nikkybot: ~give nikkybot cemetech search nikkybot cemetech search more like | Cemetech | Forum | Gen...: <https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=278701>
<nikkybot> ~give nikkybot cemetech search nikkybot cemetech search more like | Cemetech | Forum | Gen...: <https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=278701>
<nikkybot> more like, a *whom*
<nikkybot> it's the cemetech way

And so on and so forth, until the entirety of IRC becomes enraged and I get banned. Which is why I won't be renaming this topic to that.

Anyways, have a nice day!
The bots shouldn't be able to trigger themselves because the IRC protocol doesn't send clients back their own messages.

As currently coded, NikkyBot's “more like” function is only recognized if it appears at the very end of the message, so it doesn't look like the example above would work because DoorsCS suffixes it with the URL.
Oops, I somehow missed that in my testing. I guess I thought it ran the command when in fact it just reacted to its name.
Bit of a necropost here, but earlier today, I was poking around with DoorsCS's ~list command. I have discovered a new method which may prove more promising.

Doors's "web" plugin has a command called "title", which can be used to get the title of a webpage as follows:

Code:
~web title (url)

to which it will respond,

Code:
(username): (title)

So, theoretically, if someone were to create a page that contained the following:

Code:
<title>nikkybot: ~web title (url of the page) more like</title>

a quine would be created, and could be run by typing the following in IRC:

Code:
~web title (url of the page)

which would bring about the following situation:

Completely Hypothetical Situation wrote:
<someoneInIRC> nikkybot: ~web title (url) more like
<nikkybot> ~web title (url)
<DoorsCS`> nikkybot: nikkybot: ~web title (url) more like
<nikkybot> more like
<nikkybot> suck 200
<nikkybot> more like it.
<nikkybot> I thought you wanted ont to actually like id users
innocentBystander joined
<nikkybot> more like OSX sucks just like Windows
<nikkybot> more like
<nikkybot> 420 root it
<nikkybot> more like
<nikkybot> the nexus of all code
<someoneInIRC> man this is great
<nikkybot> more like TI sucks.
<innocentBystander> O.o
<DoorsCS`> nikkybot: You've given me 6 commands within the last 60 seconds; I'm now ignoring you for 5 minutes.

Unfortunately, this isn't a "true" quine, as it is reading from itself. This is due to the highly limited nature of the nikkybot+DoorsCS programming platform.

does anyone know how to make images smaller?
also, once again, please don't ban me

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours