I was wondering how a Ti-84 Calculator detects a plugged in device? Does the device have to be a computer, what if it is a usb-type stick?
USB sticks support in a CE was being created at one time, but I don't know if it still is.
You could try looking it up here on cemetech. I do not think the monochromes have USB stick support, however Kerm did develop calcnet, which allowed multiple calcs to play games together basically.
Maybe learning a programming language for this and we could help you further. Sorry that I didn't answer the question fully
Quote:
I was wondering how a Ti-84 Calculator detects a plugged in device?

The USB controller's hardware knows, and exposes the information on a hardware port, which can be read through software.

Quote:
Does the device have to be a computer,

Nope, it can be another calculator, a computer or another USB 1.0 (1.1, at best) device.

Quote:
what if it is a usb-type stick?

Works fine, if slowly.

Quote:
I do not think the monochromes have USB stick support

They do, when they're running the appropriate third-party program, e.g. MSD8x Smile

The fact that two calculators can be connected through USB, which is possible with all of the monochrome 84+ family, the 89T, the TI-eZ80 series and the Nspire series, means that their hardware USB controller has USB host + USB OTG capability, i.e. that it's full-featured. As such, it can be made, and was made, to emulate just about any USB 1.0 (1.1 ?) host, hub or device.
See, besides USB8x + MSD8x, multiple programs by BrandonW:
* the 84+ and 89T ports of the first exploits for the PS3, which require emulating a hub and various devices;
* the 84+ port of Ndless 1.0/1.1 for the Nspire;
* Linky, maybe for the 84+ as well, but definitely for the 89T, which can emulate e.g. a MSD (BrandonW used it to boot a calculator-borne NTPasswd image on one of its computers), a PL2302 serial port, a HID mouse, a HID keyboard. I contributed most of the 89T keyboard -> USB HID keyboard mapping code, and I used the HID mouse and HID keyboard ability against multiple computers over the years, for real Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours