Hi I have a ti 84 plus ce-t that does not turn on. Once when I put it to charge to see what would happen and after a few minutes it turned on.(Note: those was after days of no luck trying to turn it on). Soon after when I was opening up ti connect on my computer the calculator froze and when I attempted to reset it, it turned off and did not turn on again. I kept on trying to make it turn on until one morning I had plugged it in and it turned on. Afterwards I downloaded some programs on it using ti connect and it worked fine. I wanted to investigate more so I tried the reset button again but like last time it shut off and did not turn on again and still to this day it still does not turn on no matter how much I try.
P.s I have tried all rhe recovery techniques I could fi d but none of them worked.
Have you tried leaving it on the charger for a few hours? It could be it's hanging at a very low charge and so when you took it off it lost its charge completely.
TIny_Hacker wrote:
Have you tried leaving it on the charger for a few hours? It could be it's hanging at a very low charge and so when you took it off it lost its charge completely.

The charging thing does explain though what he says here: (since the calculator would be charging)
KingBrioche wrote:
Soon after when I was opening up ti connect on my computer the calculator froze and when I attempted to reset it.

First of all, we need to determine what this calculator is like:

I would like to know how old this TI-84 Plus CE is and what condition is it in (a picture would be helpful). This could possibly be a hardware damage if you've dropped your calculator or spilled water on it or something. The age could also be a reason why the calculator doesn't turn on, because a while back (like 3 months) one of my friends had to buy a new calculator after his old CE, which he had for around 6 years, quit entirely. Also I would like to know what OS version the calculator is running, if you don't know how to find this here are the key presses: [ON] + [2nd] + [+] + [Enter]. The OS version is found above the "PROD #:".

Secondly, I'll try suggesting some fixes:
1) Plug the calculator into an outlet (not a PC) until the charging indicator turns green. (Note: this could take up to 6 hours.)
2) Then try turning the calculator on.
3) If the calculator turns on, then great!
4) If the calculator doesn't turn on, then flip the calc over and press the Reset Button for around 10 seconds.
5) If it doesn't turn on after this, then you most likely have a hardware issue and would either need to get it fixed or buy a new one.

I hope this helps and let us know what works!
Hey thanks for the reply I have one thing to say when I put the calculator for charge after a good few hours of charging the light turns green but when unplugged and plugged back in again it turns orange. Another thing this calculator was passed down to me from my cousin and he told me he used it once but then left it untouched for about five years. If I remember correctly when I managed to turn it on I think it said that the software was so.ething along the lines of 5.0.6. One more thing is that I have been told by customer support that the battery has a problem but when I was able to turn it on I was able to use I for a good 2 hours and the charge still shown full battery. In my personal opinion I think there is something wrong with the reset button or that the software is somehow bugging the reset button.
KingBrioche wrote:
Hey thanks for the reply I have one thing to say when I put the calculator for charge after a good few hours of charging the light turns green but when unplugged and plugged back in again it turns orange.

This is completely normal, the hardware to detect whether the battery is full is not "high level" precision as a PC's so you can definitely expect some green lights when it's like 95% or some orange lights when it's 97%.

KingBrioche wrote:
In my personal opinion I think there is something wrong with the reset button or that the software is somehow bugging the reset button.

I don't think the reset button has anything to do with that. The reset button is not connected to any software, it's a hardware feature so that programmers like us don't hack the button and fake any resets. That obviously doesn't mean that you can't 3d print a reset button and do some other nifty tricks (which I won't go into as it is against Cemetech's policy). But I just wanted to clear up that the reset button doesn't run any software it's a hardware reset button. If you still think that the reset button is the problem then it would have to be a hardware issue NOT a software one.

Did the calculator turn on for you?
Try holding down the reset button for 10 seconds.
It still has not turned on yet. One more thing a few days ago while I was changing it to see if it would turn on the screen turned on but only the back-light turned on, the next day the same thing happened but a few days later the screen turned on with a white blank screen.
KingBrioche wrote:
It still has not turned on yet. One more thing a few days ago while I was changing it to see if it would turn on the screen turned on but only the back-light turned on, the next day the same thing happened but a few days later the screen turned on with a white blank screen.

Okay that sounds like damage to hardware. If the calculator is charged there should be no reason for it not to turn on.

It could be that the LCD screen is damaged... LCD controller (or whatever Zeroko called it)?
I don't quite understand how it could be an issue with the lcd since like I said a few days ago it turned on perfectly fine. I tried holding the reset button fir ten seconds after it displayed full charge but still it stayed unresponsive.
Try wacking it on something hard
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Try wacking it on something hard

You might think he's messing around, but he's actually not. I refrained from telling you this because it's pretty difficult to get it right. Inside the 84 plus ce there are two small fans that run and keep the hardware cool so that the calculator doesn't burn your hand when you are taking a test. The problem is that the calculator will not turn on unless these fans are working, now these fans were only added by TI to the 84 Plus CE and since these fans take up so much energy to get them started and running, the battery life on a full charge has decreased from around 40 hours on the 84 Plus to around 6 hours on the 84 Plus CE. As you can clearly see, sometimes the connectors from the battery to these fans get extremely worn out with time (you said that the calculator has been around for a while, and also that the reset button doesn't fix the issue). Now in order to get these fans running, you're going to have to 'jumpstart' them. I've tried many strategies on dead 84 plus CE's and the best method I could find is the following:

1: First obtain a SMALL amount (around 2 cups) of liquid nitrogen. (This cannot be substituted with liquid oxygen!)
    2: Open the calculator's battery and proceed to open the back cover of the calculator by removing the screws.
    3: Pour the liquid nitrogen into the insides of the calculator making sure that everything is covered. (We used liquid nitrogen because the jumpstarting of the fans will generate a large amount heat that we do not want to damage the other hardware.)
    4: After completing the 3rd step, immediately close the calculator cover.
    5: Do not install the battery, instead get two jumper cables that attach to the copper metal threads where the battery connects, then connect a car battery to those two jumper cables.
    6: Now here is the sensitive part: press the reset button then wait 3 seconds and hit the [ON] button.

If the procedure on top doesn't work you're gong to have to get a new calculator. Tell us how it goes!

PLEASE DO NOT DO THE PROCEDURE, THIS IS ALL A JOKE AND WILL ABSOLUTELY DESTROY YOUR CALCULATOR!!!
Hehe very funny but I am actually really desperate to get this calculator to work so please tell me if I should keep trying or just buy a new one.
P.s. should I actually try wacking on something hard? Or is that part of the joke because literally can't think of anything else.
If a new battery doesn't work, the reset button isn't stuck, and holding 2nd+del+reset button doesn't trigger the OS reinstall, then there's not much hope in saving the calculator. I don't know what went wrong but it doesn't sound like a software issue and hardware issues are much more difficult to fix.
KingBrioche wrote:

P.s. should I actually try wacking on something hard? Or is that part of the joke because literally can't think of anything else.

That is also part of the joke. Although if push came to shove and you know that nothing will actually start the calculator, like literally the calculator is DEAD, you can try smashing it, but I can tell you that that won't fix anything. At this point, I would just buy a new one.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours