9%  [ 1 ]
Terrible.
 0%  [ 0 ]
Amazing!
 18%  [ 2 ]
It's going to fail.
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

Ok, I found out what was wrong with drawing the Tilemap; I was using Tilemap(, not Tilemap_noClip( Rolling Eyes. I tried doing that instead, and it worked until I changed the xOffset, at which point the screen flashed and data from random image files on my calc started being displayed in odd patterns, before the screen very slowly faded to white... I must say, it was actually kinda creepy. Anyway, does anyone know why this might have happened? (I would try to get a screenshot, but this just happened and it cleared my calc. I'll take one if necessary when I get home.)
Btw Admins can you end my poll? I made it everlasting but I already have the results I need.
Argus wrote:
Ok, I found out what was wrong with drawing the Tilemap; I was using Tilemap(, not Tilemap_noClip( Rolling Eyes. I tried doing that instead, and it worked until I changed the xOffset, at which point the screen flashed and data from random image files on my calc started being displayed in odd patterns, before the screen very slowly faded to white... I must say, it was actually kinda creepy. Anyway, does anyone know why this might have happened? (I would try to get a screenshot, but this just happened and it cleared my calc. I'll take one if necessary when I get home.)
Btw Admins can you end my poll? I made it everlasting but I already have the results I need.

the NoClip part just means that the pixels drawn to the screen are not constrained to the screen space. Use Tilemap() unless you know *exactly* where the tilemap will draw.
So use Tilemap().
Functionaly they're the same, except for the clipping, which keeps RAM leaks like this from happening. The screen is a memory location. Drawing outside of it's bounds causes issues with surrounding memory. Like the LCD controller, causing these kinds of effects.
Tilemap() makes sure the pixels are all drawn within the bounds of the screen.
Tilemap_NoClip() does not.
Oh... Well that explains it... But why does the screen still refresh slower with Tilemap(?
Because it has to clip.
That's what I thought, but then how should I speed it up? There's gotta be a method for this.
Make your code better??
Ok I guess. I'll see what I can do about it.
Update on my entry
I am still planning on entering my BASIC program, and I made a lot of progress today. Here's a list of the current position I'm at:

Completed:
Map storing/rendering
Dialogue storing/displaying
Collision
Losing
In game menu
Saving and pausing
Person interaction
Startup menu
Item interaction (different from person interaction)
Inventory
Transfering a save file (by means of TI-Connect or transfer cable)
Winning

To-Do List:
Settings

Want-to-do
High Scores Table
Stats page for player IN GAME
Save multiple games
Color mode (optimize)
Compression!! (optimization)

Last update: 10/5/2019, 6:29pm

Let me know what you think I should add from the "Want to do" list after finishing!
"Big" update on progress. I got a lot more map design done today. This is so hard... I also fixed problems with map and name loading, and sped it up a little. I also added non-hostile dialogue (so far you could only talk to enemies :p) Finally, I got an idea on how to fix the bugs for finding an item and adding it to your inventory. Plus I added a real story line, but that's not that important as of now. I plan on completely finishing tomorrow or after tomorrow. That's it for now!
"Big" update on progress. I got a lot more map design done today. This is so hard... I also fixed problems with map and name loading, and sped it up a little. I also added non-hostile dialogue (so far you could only talk to enemies :p) Finally, I got an idea on how to fix the bugs for finding an item and adding it to your inventory. Plus I added a real story line, but that's not that important as of now. I plan on completely finishing tomorrow or after tomorrow. That's it for now!
Another update! I finished winning (as well as the winning screen) and I fixed all the bugs in the inventory system. All I have left now is the Settings choice in the menu (might be omitted for the contest submission, but will be added in later) and a bit more map design, because so far I've only added 30 maps :p. Same as yesterday, I will finish either today or tomorrow, maybe extended to thursday, but I will definitely finish in time.
P.S. Why did my post appear twice and only give me one extra post? Two glitches in one...
Sounds good! Got any screenshots?
I'll try and get some when I'm home, but I'm in school right now. Either way, you'll get to see the final result in two days!
(I'm not skipping class or anything, I've just finished all my work in Comp Sci)
I finished all map design today! All that I need now is an effective method for Settings, a stats page (maybe), documentation for my files, and maybe have some people test it for bugs. I will finish the program today, but probably submit tomorrow in case I notice I forgot something, or to add an Easter Egg. As a note, if you want to actually experience the Easter Egg, don't look through the source, and please don't spoil it to others, as that beats the fun of it! Anyway, I will probably edit this tonight with the news of being done.
Congrats and well done for getting a submission in!
Thank you! I was just finishing up the Easter Egg when I saw this. I think I am ready to submit, as I finished writing the documentation, and the game is fully functional (except for the Settings). I will try to finish Settings tonight, but if I fail, I'll just submit to the archives and get it into a later update.
Anyway, it's been a fun journey doing this project and a great experience working with you guys! Thanks for everything! Very Happy
(Sorry for double posting, it's just this is an important moment in the thread)
I have submitted to the archives! The game should be available for download tomorrow, but for those who want to go bug testing early, you can find a download link here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XSF83T0kj35osg1weMg-Pa1oUwjAWofD
Download and enjoy! Good luck to the other contestants!
An Update! Wow!
I am still working on this! Here's a list of the current position I'm at:

Completed:
Map storing/rendering
Dialogue storing/displaying
Collision
Losing
In game menu
Saving and pausing
Person interaction
Startup menu
Item interaction (different from person interaction)
Inventory
Transfering a save file (by means of TI-Connect or transfer cable)
Winning
Stats page for player in game

Completed not Implemented:
New graphics
Multiple saves (only two, heh)
Some work on color mode (other than inverse colors, which is already done)

To-Do List:
Settings

Want-to-do
High Scores Table
Color mode (optimize)
Compression!! (optimization)

Well, what do you know! I am still working on this! I thought continuing it would be a good idea after I was looking through my old posts. It had nothing to do with CC23, but it was a post about looking for custom characters on the CE. In the post I said that I was making a huge RPG at the time. That RPG was actually the engine that I am using now. So I felt like the engine needed to be made better. I feel like if I get the To-Do and Want-To-Do lists done I can finally move on, unless y'all have any more ideas. If you do, please put them below. If you have any other thoughts, you can also post them here.
This looks like a really cool project. Mind sending a recording of the gameplay?
Here is a screenshot from the download page:

Thanks for your interest!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours