Quote:
This year, I have to drive between two high-schools to take all my classes (the only way I can take any technology course). Same district though.

Yeah, there are three programming courses at my school (but 2 are each 1 semester). So that's just two years of 1 period a day. First year was QuickBASIC and C++, second is VisualBASIC + html editor use.

Quote:
I haven't played D&D, nor do I have a particular interest in it. Realtime games seem so much more exciting to me.

D&D looks bland, but can really get interesting. It requires more thought than a typical videogame rpg. You have to think of what the character would be thinking. Plus, hanging out with friends in real life is so much cooler than just chatting online in an MMO.

Quote:
Be sure to use an electric saw/drywall cutter; going at plywood with a hacksaw == long, tedious work Smile

I think my dad has a circular saw in the garage. I don't know if I want to do that or not, though. If I do it to one, I'll have to make it a double. Then I'll have to add a backrail. Then I'll have to paint it. Then I'll realize it''s too much work and have a bunch of plywood lying around. Rolling Eyes
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
I think it may just be my school, but every single 'technology' class taught at a public school seems to be insanely basic, and the material taught is quite often wrong. Almost everyone is lightyears above those courses (yes, even those that think IE is 'The Internets')...except for the teachers though 0x5

Well, here we actually have courses that teach people how to do things. Still many people who think IE is the Internet htough, but ah well.
I started school on August 20, and think it is fine so far.

I am in 8th grade this year, and get credit for Spanish 1 and environmental science this year.

Math History
6th: Algebra I and math contests (went to National Mathcounts)
7th: Geometry and a bunch more math contests (went to ARML)
8th: Algebra II (completed), and Precalc (did first 2 chapters in about 2 hours total; have to finish by October 23) An even more massive amount of math competitions
Oh, and I am also doing WOOT (worldwide olympiad training) through AoPS (www.artofproblemsolving.com).

My Science teacher is really cool, and I teach myself Precalc (really, really easy, as was Algebra II).
b-flat wrote:

I am in 8th grade this year, and get credit for Spanish 1 and environmental science this year.

Math History
8th: Algebra II (completed), and Precalc (did first 2 chapters in about 2 hours total; have to finish by October 23) An even more massive amount of math competitions
Oh, and I am also doing WOOT (worldwide olympiad training) through AoPS (www.artofproblemsolving.com).

My Science teacher is really cool, and I teach myself Precalc (really, really easy, as was Algebra II).

@.@ You did algebra 1 in 6th grade? holy shit Evil or Very Mad
I started Algebra 1 in 5th grade.
Sweet jesus... I have a lot of catching up to do Evil or Very Mad
There is a really simple way to catch up:

Do what I did Very Happy

Don't take your courses through your middle school - take them through some type of online course that allows you to go at your own pace. This made it possible for me to finish Algebra II in a month (2 weeks of which were the midterm exam and final exam) and since courses are review anyway (until Calculus), you can very quickly do the first few chapters and save yourself a lot of time. Smile
where did you do the online one?
Sorry I forgot to tell you.

I am doing mine through John Hopkins University online courses.

You buy courses in 3, 6, or 9 month blocks, and you can do as much as you want in that time period.

If I finish Precalc early, then I will probably sign up for their Intro to C course just so I can get the software and the textbook Very Happy

Try googling them - that should do it. If not, I can give you the link (would have to find it).
[offtopic]Hey Harq, 1 post ago your number of posts was the same as the size of a pic variable! Razz [/offtopic]
I wish I was taking an online course... I'm still in the 3rd chapter of Algebra 2. Sad
I doubt I could buy them - I will probably just try to teach myself it using my textbook (work ahead and then library here I come Wink )

OK, I think I found it ( http://cty.jhu.edu/math/index.html )
I took 2 online classes at a college near me; two college credits in 2 months Good Idea
*ugh* Forget about doing the online stuff at hopikins, take a look at the pricings

Quote:
Tuition and Fees Application Fee:
(nonrefundable) $30
International Fee:
(applies to all students living outside the United States) $35
Writing series tuition:
(Level 1-5 courses) $780 per course

Writing short course tuition:
(Language Rules and Art Meets Science courses) $440 per course
Math and Computer Science tuition:
(effective January 1) $ 610 for 3 months
$1145 for 6 months
$1740 for 9 months
Advanced Placement Courses (except AP Calculus) $1150 per course

Tuition and fees are due with the program application. Payment may be made by check, money order, MasterCard, or Visa. Your program application cannot be processed until payment is received.
Note about Textbooks:

Some courses require the separate purchase of a textbook or other course materials. See the specific course for details. Other materials, however, are supplied by CTY. If your course requires a textbook, please order it well in advance of the start date to be sure the student is equipped to begin.
Note to students enrolling in math:

Students who complete the specific course for which they enrolled before the time period is over may choose to advance to the next course at no additional charge (except for the textbook, if required). Under this system, a student is enrolling for all the math they can complete within the time period, even if that extends beyond the specific course for which they originally registered.
Note to students living outside the United States:

The International Fee listed above covers course materials mailings and communications to students outside the United States.
Financial Aid

Limited financial aid is available to students whose families demonstrate financial need. Those requesting assistance must complete and submit, with appropriate documentation, the CTY Distance Education Financial Aid Application with the CTY Distance Education Program Application.

To apply for aid, download this printable application in Adobe Acrobat form. Or, you may phone (410) 735-6024 and request a CTY Distance Education Program Financial Aid form.
Refund Policy

Parents/guardians who submit a written request to withdraw that is received by CTY no later than two weeks after the course start date receive a 50% tuition refund, provided that the software and course materials (if provided by CTY) are returned in satisfactory condition. The application fee is non-refundable. Refunds take approximately six weeks to process, pending receipt of the courseware. Send withdrawal requests to ctyreg@jhu.edu

Students who withdraw or fail to participate after the two-week withdrawal period do not receive refunds. Students with grammatical and mechanical skills below grade level may be withdrawn from the program without refund.

Last updated 2006 Jan 4 by SAK.
b-flat wrote:
...and I teach myself Precalc (really, really easy, as was Algebra II).
That's what I did, except it's not official so it's not recognized by the school. I'm stuck in trigonometry. Unless I can convince the calculus teacher to let me in and inside information tells me he is open to the idea.
Hmm...I think your school might have a waiver form to get into higher classes.
Waiver form? What do you mean?
As in, if you go to the office (student services if your school has one), ask for one; a waiver form is a waiver to get into harder classes without meeting the pre-req's.
Oh. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll go to student services tomorrow.
b-flat wrote:

Math History

I did pretty much the same thing, except in 5th grade, I came across a book with some trigonometry and calculus stuff, so I new some trigonometry and calculus in 5th grade Evil or Very Mad
I took Calc AB my Junior year in high school, and retaking it as Math 124 this fall (I didn't keep up with math and fear I've forgotten most of it with over a year off from it)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 8 of 10
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours