Hello all!
First time actually posting here on Cametech (unless I posted earlier on and forgot about it).
Ive been looking into doing a performance comparison between TI-BASIC, Optimised TI-BASIC, ICE compiled TI-BASIC, Optimized ICE compiled TI-BASIC, C libs, and straight up eZ80 ASM. To compare results, I made a 3D sphere demo in TI-BASIC. It takes about 5 seconds per frame to calculate and draw 70 points.
So, to compare, I need to rewrite the program in all those aforementioned languages.
First off, I wanted to have a stab at eZ80 asm, as I've already made small demos with the C libraries and wanted a change of pace.

But now im left with this:
Idk how to even initialize a variable.
Ive done some 6502 ASM, and there there really isn't a BIOS, so you just write to ram at a given address.

So far I've tried:

Code:

Variable:
  .db $01

at the bottom of the .asm file, but that throws an error in my compiler (SPASM-NG)

Code:

src.asm:12: warning SW800: Value too large for 8-bits, truncation required

I assume just writing to the registers is a bad idea, as they get overwritten all the time.

Sorry for the noob-ish question, help is appreciated!
If you are using the TI-84+CE, I would recommend taking a look at this documentation: https://github.com/CE-Programming/documentation

You can use the following to load and store to a variable:

Code:
   ; 8-bit variable
   ld   a,(variable8)
   inc   a
   ld   (variable8),a

; 24-bit variable
   ld   hl,(variable24)
   inc   hl
   ld   (variable24),hl

variable8:
   db   0

variable24:
   dl   0
Oh alright, thanks! I appreciate the help!
You made a 3D sphere demo? I've been dying to get my hands on a TI-Basic 3D engine for the TI-84 pce, so would you mind posting your code here? If you can't or don't want to, it's fine.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours