Learning the hexadecimal or binary opcodes is actually useful in more advanced programming, but programming that way is a rough start. You'll get good at it, and contrary to popular belief, it's not that bad. The only mentally strenuous thing is computing jumps, but otherwise it's a lot faster to type when you get good at it. I even used to have a BASIC program that auto-generated common snippets Razz

Anyways, the easiest way to learn is to take existing code and modify it. Use a chart like this one on ClrHome for quick reference, but note that it doesn't have all the cool new instructions for the eZ80 (and 16-bit constants and addresses will need to be 24-bit).

I would suggest that you look at my early work when I always included the mnemonics + hexadecimal source side-by-side, but they were all for the monochrome calcs.
Xeda112358 wrote:
Learning the hexadecimal or binary opcodes is actually useful in more advanced programming, but programming that way is a rough start. You'll get good at it, and contrary to popular belief, it's not that bad. The only mentally strenuous thing is computing jumps, but otherwise it's a lot faster to type when you get good at it. I even used to have a BASIC program that auto-generated common snippets Razz

Anyways, the easiest way to learn is to take existing code and modify it. Use a chart like this one on ClrHome for quick reference, but note that it doesn't have all the cool new instructions for the eZ80 (and 16-bit constants and addresses will need to be 24-bit).

I would suggest that you look at my early work when I always included the mnemonics + hexadecimal source side-by-side, but they were all for the monochrome calcs.

Ok thanks! I’ve been waiting for an easy-to-understand chart. Now I’m going to research about things like ‘ld ‘ or whatever the things in the boxes are. I believe if I research enough, I’ll soon learn what they are and mean.
Anyways, thanks again, I’ll use it after I do the research!!!
Oh, the chart on ClrHome lets you hover (or press-and-hold on touchscreen devices) and it pops up with a description. The stuff the others linked to are helpful in teaching what the mnemonics actually mean. You should absolutely learn the mnemonics and translate between the hexadecimal and mnemonics if you are dead-set on programming in hexadecimal. "ld a,b" is basically "b→a". "add a,b" is like "a+b→a". "sub a,b" is "a-b→a"

EDIT: fixed a potentially confusing expression.
EDIT2: Also, here is a reference chart that includes information on the different kinds of instruction, but it is for the Z80, so addresses are 16-bit (2 bytes) instead of 24-bit (3 bytes). This also means it doesn't show the new instructions like "mlt hl" to multiply H*L→HL. Otherwise, it is pretty useful: https://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/434/43467.html

But please, take the time to learn assembly as mnemonics, even if you are manually translating it to hexadecimal. It will be a waste of everyone's time when you need to ask questions and only have the hex (trust me, I know from experience, but I didn't have a choice when I was learning-- didn't have access to the internet or computers except at school, and even that was rare).
Progress update (11-10-19, 2:15 pm):
- I have removed the command “open.WordSolver” from the main calculator routine.*
- Instead of using “open.WordSolver” to solve word problems, I have added a somewhat “smart” routine that scans your equation, and detects if it’s a word problem. If it contains A-Z,a-z, period, comma, the exclamation mark (!), or a question mark (?), OR multiples of these, it makes sure it’s not simply a standard calculation with one or more variables (like this simple example, ‘1+AB’, etc.)

If it does detect it’s a word problem, it checks for specific keywords, converted as numbers only, as long as they were previously saved in the “database” list, and solves it if more than one of those keywords in it’s “database” list matches with the problem. BUT:
Once Advanced Calc is used for the first time, or if it’s opened after all OS lists are gone, it makes the user set it up, but it also creates this “database” list too, but it’s dim size is 1, so basically it’s empty. This “database” is literally just the OS list “LAI”.

SO... If the database is empty, or if can’t find enough keywords to recognize what problem it’s given, it converts the word problem to all numbers, and asks for the user to type the equation it needs to use to solve it.
I might change it so it could support multiple equations/steps that it could take to solve a word problem.
The word problem solver is not near finished yet, but progress is being made!

Got any suggestions/requests? Reply to me! It’ll help me out A TON!

Oh, each word problem’s words are converted to numbers, saved in the database list, and used as keywords for future problems. But, if and when I ever release it in the archives after it’s almost or completely done, I’ll be sure to provide a pre-made database list in the file too, so you can use it and stuff.

I think this idea is terrible tbh. I will need someone to help me if they know any way to make the word solver work better than it would with my idea.

* If you didn’t know, the command “open.<built-in app>” doesn’t actually open any “built-in apps”, it simply runs a routine for that “built-in app”.
Ok so yeah, I’ll need some help with any possible ideas/code that could be very useful with this calculator shell.

Also, I will be rewriting it in ICE very soon, so it will be able to:
- process word problems very quickly
- edit files like OS vars (like lists, matrixes, etc.), appvars, etc.

BUT calculations with negative numbers might need to be solved using a separate program (might be in TI-BASIC), stores in Ans, and Ans would be loaded using the Open()/sum(1) command in Advanced Calc, and finally displayed.

However, that’s not the important part. I need some help (code or ideas) on how I could go about making something like a word processor/routine, for use with the Word Problem Solver.

Anyone want to help? I’ll make a credits section in Advanced Calc for anyone that can help, no matter what the kind of help I get, literally even just the simplest idea Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours