I just recently found this oldish post and was wondering if a system could be made to "Ping" or PM a person when their name is mentioned in a post. Maybe a system could also be implemented where you can click on usernames in a post and be taken to their profiles…
Part 1: like an @mention in Github? THat *would* help... see your influence!
Part 2: You can do it yourself, it just takes more work. I'm assuming you figured that out already, because it's crossed out...

So like @SM84CE would send a PM saying "You were mentioned by USERNAME in THREAD"? There's this one forum that I'm on that does that...
I know it was done on Omni, and it's quite useful. For an example of their interface:
I like this idea, occasionally, I see my name come up in someone else's post, but I don't read every single post, so I probably missed one or two. This is probably even more relevant for people like PT_, Kerm or Mateo who get mentioned all the time. Regardless, if someone mentions me in a post, I definitely want to go read it, so being notified would be a good thing. You could even have a section on your profile like the "Find all posts by mr womp womp" section, but for mentions.
It wouldn't be very difficult to link to the person's profile either.
I think modern forums do this. Not that I'm complaining, Cemetech works on some old hardware and I appreciate that.
CalebHansberry wrote:
I think modern forums do this. Not that I'm complaining, Cemetech works on some old hardware and I appreciate that.

Ok Boomer.
mr womp womp wrote:
CalebHansberry wrote:

Ok Boomer.

Ok, I like computers from the 90s so I'll have to just accept that Laughing anyway I do like the feature, if it could be added I think that'd be great.
This is infeasible to add support for in the current forum backend, but could be a future feature in the cemetech7 backend.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours