I don't currently own a monochrome calc to develop for, but I'm accepting donations Razz

More seriously, it might be feasible to port this to the z80 by compiling the game logic with jacobly's ez80 llvm backend, which (iirc) supports z80 as well. From what I can tell much of the frame time is spent doing graphics, so it might actually be able to run assuming that the monochrome graphics are fast enough. Most of the "pixels" in the game are actually 2x2, so you could scale down all pixel values by 1/2 and then deal with the dino entering the 11 pixels that are still missing by cutting off part of the horizon and the dino's head when it's jumping.
I absolutely love this game as it is very accurate to the original. My only complaints are the CE's invisible diagonal line, and that you should be able to restart the game with any key, not just 2nd and enter.
I was also quite disappointed at how the game looked on a physical calculator after testing in CEmu. I tried to get rid of the diagonal line at one point but stopped because I was basically rewriting all of graphx, and also because RLET compression is far less efficient for the ground sprites when using the LCD in that mode and it was causing speed issues.
I considered changing the restart to use any key, but I tested the original and found that it only restarts on the Enter key. However, I just tested it again today and found that it actually does restart if you press the up key, but only after a delay. Presumably, this is so that you don't accidentally restart by trying to jump. If I ever release another update I'll be sure to add that.
commandblockguy wrote:
I considered changing the restart to use any key, but I tested the original and found that it only restarts on the Enter key. However, I just tested it again today and found that it actually does restart if you press the up key, but only after a delay. Presumably, this is so that you don't accidentally restart by trying to jump. If I ever release another update I'll be sure to add that.

I'm running Chrome Version 83.0.4103.97 and for me the game instantly restarts by pressing either space, up, or enter. It's not a big deal though.

It actually almost seems to me like your CE version runs better than the original...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours