I just recently bought a TI84+CE solely for programming in hopes (again) of getting into assembly, however, I've already run into a roadblock of just getting the ROM.

Because I've used it with mixed success on my Linux machines, and it appears to be cross-platform, I wanted to use TiLP.

Running the windows installer quickly runs into an issue retrieving the GTK runtime (maybe a 404 or something? the error doesn't really help). I decided to try and download it on my own (as that was mentioned as an option), but the referenced SourceForge project says that it is no longer maintained (since 2017), and I didn't want to try working with that until I have to.

Instead, I tried installing GTK per the windows installation instructions through the mingw-w64-x86_64-libgtk2 and mingw-w64-x86_64-libgtk3 packages. The TiLP installer doesn't appear to detect either though, unfortunately (though I may very well be missing something).

I figured that before I invested much longer on this I might ask you all. Does anyone have experience with TiLP on windows? Or is this all a waste, and I should just be using some other program?
For Windows, the latest beta version found here is the way to go Smile
It fixes GTK stuff, among other things.

Note that the website and sourceforge are really outdated. Development is now done on GitHub: tilibs and tilp_and_gfm.
Adriweb wrote:
Note that the website and sourceforge are really outdated. Development is now done on GitHub: tilibs and tilp_and_gfm.

Maybe it would be a good idea to say that clearly on the website and on sourceforge?
Maybe, indeed...
I ended up using TI-Connect (per a recommendation in chat) long enough to find out I probably have a defective cord, so I'm waiting on one to ship, but when it does I think I'll try that, thanks!

Also, I definitely think it would be awesome if that information was more visible, though just adding a README to the tilp_and_gfm repo would also probably work about as well!
Quote:
I've already run into a roadblock of just getting the ROM.

Quote:
I ended up using TI-Connect (per a recommendation in chat)

Well... TI-Connect doesn't provide ROM dumping functionality, so you can't use it to fulfill the purpose you described in this topic, and the recommendation you got looks irrelevant ?
Also, since you have a 84+CE, you want to use TI-Connect CE instead of TI-Connect Smile

But you don't have to make a choice between TILP and TI's software. As described in TILP's README, you can use TILP and TI's programs side by side, one at a time of course (like most programs communicating with USB devices, they require exclusive access to any given device they handle), as long as you perform the one-time setup - using Zadig to sign the driver and the libusb-win32 filter driver installer - described in the README.
Oh, I didn't realize that, thanks for the info! I suspect I would have found out pretty quickly once I got it connected, but it's good to know ahead of time 😅. And yeah, sorry, I was using TI-Connect CE, probably should have specified.

And oh, cool! I'll look into that, though I guess I have to ask, what is the overlap of features between the two? To my very limited understanding, it almost sounds like TiLP would be sufficient for my needs
chrisreall wrote:
And oh, cool! I'll look into that, though I guess I have to ask, what is the overlap of features between the two? To my very limited understanding, it almost sounds like TiLP would be sufficient for my needs

TiLP, afaik, does every calculator, except for the nspire cx II and nspire cx cas II. don't quote me on this. It doesn't, however, have a built in Ti-BASIC editor like Ti-Connect does.
That's correct Smile
* the functional overlap between TILP and TI's software is large, as far as transfer capability (files, screenshots, backups, keypresses, etc.) is concerned, which is the sole focus of libti*+gfm+tilp: no program editor, as mentioned by Izder456;
* TILP is more portable, as you saw for yourself;
* TILP supports some models TI's modern software doesn't, and can perform some operations TI's software cannot, e.g. ROM dumping which is relevant to you;
* the opposite is also true: as mentioned by Izder456, libticalcs, and therefore TILP, does not support the CX II series yet, because its protocol is different (a variant of the Nspire protocol, wrapped into a protocol used by some classroom TI equipment, never implemented before by third-party software). This protocol was reverse-engineered enough, for most operations, and I have started preparatory work for CX II support in libticalcs a while ago.

Although TI does not provide documentation of the link protocols (in this century) and does not pay the maintainers of libti*+gfm+tilp (previously Romain LiƩvin for a decade, now me for a bit over a decade), both Romain and I have met some people on TI's payroll at TI EdTech offices, as well as receive(d) some link cables and calculators at no cost. Makes me think that I haven't asked for a 83PCE EP, not because its communication behaviour is different from that of the 83PCE or I really need the Python functionality and the new ARM chip, but because I damaged my 83PCE...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours