Well, it is kinda hard when your parents won't let you have a computer for an extended time.
No excuses! >_< If you learn more about computers in general, then your time spent with them will be more productive. So, I suggest you read at least one (or part of) a tutorial each day/night, so bit by bit you'll be learning Smile
I would rather use my time making worthless posts though! Smile Mabey I'll print some....
netham45 wrote:
Well, it is kinda hard when your parents won't let you have a computer for an extended time.

Save up and buy your own, its what I did (I also built it myself, hell of a learning experience) - I did that when I was like 14 or 15, took 6 months to get the cash ($600), but it was worth it Smile
I have one...
Quote:
Mabey I'll print some....

Um...that would be a bad idea unless you have an infinite amount of ink and paper Very Happy Tutorials tend to be quite long, and most (read:all) are hands-on anyways...if you had a laser printer then you might be able to print out all of the tutorials that you're going to need.
wtf? Start negotiating for more time Wink

My parents were initially against me being on the comp for 4 to 8 hours a day, but then I showed em all the cool proggies I can write, and all the 1337 linux hacks, and how quickly I could fix their comps... And I told em when I make millions doing this for a living I'll share the money - so now its all cool Wink
well, I guess that all help out. By the time I get my next desktop machine, that card will probably be mid line or something (my next machine will be a top of the line lappy and use that for several years).
This is cool, but incredibly pointless unless you really care to pay $300 for a 15ms improvement in ping time.
KermMartian wrote:
This is cool, but incredibly pointless unless you really care to pay $300 for a 15ms improvement in ping time.

Right! $279.99(I rounded) is 18 1/3 dollars per millisecond boost from the free-on board card.
Quote:
I did that when I was like 14 or 15, took 6 months to get the cash ($600), but it was worth it Smile

How did you manage to do that?!?! Shock
Hey, I just did that. I happened to have my birthday, which was worth 150 bucks, I've been doing some yard work for the neighbors, and I had somehow managed to save a couple hundred bucks.
I've saved up a couple hundred bucks a few times as well; but $600 ?!
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Quote:
I did that when I was like 14 or 15, took 6 months to get the cash ($600), but it was worth it Smile

How did you manage to do that?!?! Shock

6 months is roughly the time between xmas and b-day, so thats $400 right there (g-ma always gives $150 for each, plus money from other people), so that just left $200 to come from my savings (which was pitiful - like $50) and then odd jobs over that 6months Smile - I was getting a $10 allowance as well - it all adds up... albeit very slowly Laughing

I got most of the peripherals for b-day from those who didn't want to give money. Parents gave me the monitor and mouse, others gave me things like keyboard, gamepad, CD-R spindels etc... Speakers and sound card came later, as did my 9700PRO, and I also snagged a free laser printer (dad's office was throwing it out - someone said it was broken, but it works fine for me Very Happy), and a $40 monitor (good 17in CRT)
Laughing A lot of parts that I have are from my Dad's work (there's two supply closets with a TON of goodies to choose from Very Happy (except there's not much in the way of home pc components Sad))

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours