I was trying to do some EE homework with my CE and I kept getting a domain error when I tried to use polar notation for phasor voltages. So I decided to try doing the calculation on my CSE and it worked just fine! Exactly as expected. Am I doing something wrong on the CE? Because if possible I would like to use it for my homework as opposed to my CSE. Here's a picture.

Your battery on the CE is too low to perform the computation.
Well I get a Domain error on both my 83PCE and the CX CAS.

Mayb you should try in radian and without the pi/180 stuff
I have tried it in radians and it does give me an answer, but the answer is in radians. You still need the pi/180 factor since the argument for e^θi is assumed to be radians. But to me that makes this problem even weirder since it works in radians but not degrees.
are you "in re^(ѳ𝓲)" on the 84CE? it works on my CE on BASE 5.4.0.0034 BOOT 5.0.0.0089

EDIT : Guess I didn't look at the picture hard enough You are in "re^(ѳ𝓲)"
It could be an OS issue, my CE is running 5.2.1.0042
Botboy3000 wrote:
It could be an OS issue, my CE is running 5.2.1.0042

this is gonna sound counter intuitive, but don't update. They restrict some tokens such a Asm84CEPrgm on it, so if you wanna do on-calc asm, you are out of luck on a newer software version.
Haha, I'm aware which is why I haven't. If the problem really is the OS though, I guess I'll just be using my CSE for this from now on.
Botboy3000 wrote:
Haha, I'm aware which is why I haven't. If the problem really is the OS though, I guess I'll just be using my CSE for this from now on.

wait, nvm, my calc was in radian, yeah, it doesn't work on my version either.
Mine (EDIT: with OS 5.3.0.0037) works if you enter it in radian mode & press Enter, then switch to degrees, & then finally enter Ans & again press Enter. Which is annoying. The problem seems to be not allowing entering arguments to e^( that contain πi while in degree mode.
This sounds like an obscure TI-OS bug imo.
p.s. OS 5.3.0 is safe to update to, fyi. It's 5.3.1 and beyond that you shouldn't update to.

EDIT: e^i is just invalid in degree mode. Try this:

Code:

(0+i200)(10e^(30iπ/180))°

while in radian mode and you'll get an answer in degrees

EDIT2: or not.
The answer is in imaginary notation, and cannot be represented in degrees according to the TI-OS
try this while in radian mode and you'll get an answer in degrees:

Code:

(0+i200)(10e^(30iπ/180))π/180
*bump*
Looks like TI hasn't fixed this bug in 5.8.0.0022 (hardware) Crying
Interestingly, it looks like it was added in 5.1.0 and not fixed since then.
Based on the ERR: DOMAIN explanation for the TI−84 Plus CE, I thought not allowing imaginary numbers in the e^() function became intentional past OS 5.2.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours