http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/editions/default.mspx

Microsoft has published the official pricings (its at the bottom of the page for each version)

Home Premium (the only one anyone here would consider) is $159.99 for the upgrade edition with the full package at $239.99
*faints* I'm not getting that anytime soon... Rolling Eyes
Its cheaper than XP Pro by a good margin (XP Pro is $200 for upgrade, $300 for full pacakge - or at least thats the MSRP)
$240? You can buy a Dell B110 for $279. I should wait until Vista comes preinstalled on computers and buy one of those. Then just put the HD in my comp and have a bunch of just-about-free hardware. Smile
You don't need to buy the retail verison if you already have a copy of XP (or any previous windows) just the upgrade edition Rolling Eyes

Besides, them cheapo dell's will be coming with the horrid Home Basic, which lacks, among other things, the new Aero interface (aka, Home Basic will have the same GUI as the current XP)
I'm planning on building a comp for college and really wanted to put Vista on it. I have an old comp with Windows ME on it. Is there a way to copy it over to a new comp? Then I could just buy the upgrade.
For the upgrade editions you just need the old windows DISK, it doesn't need to be installed. Hell, I used an old copy of Windows 95 to get the XP Home Upgrade for my older comp Very Happy (I've also used a windows ME CD from my dad's dell)
Kllrnohj wrote:
For the upgrade editions you just need the old windows DISK, it doesn't need to be installed. Hell, I used an old copy of Windows 95 to get the XP Home Upgrade for my older comp Very Happy (I've also used a windows ME CD from my dad's dell)

Hmmm... I think my grandma has a disk. My comp came with XP Home installed but it didn't come with the disk... Oh well, hopefully that works. Thanks!
If its installed that will work too, but only if you are installing it to that drive Smile
Kllrnohj wrote:
If its installed that will work too, but only if you are installing it to that drive Smile

I don't suppose I could right click on my C: drive -> Copy -> Paste in external harddrive -> Copy/Paste to a different computer's harddrive and then use the upgrade?
Not from within windows, but thats not saying something like Norton Ghost (or even just copying from within linux) won't work Smile It would be much more efficient to just copy straight to the new drive, though, rather than going through an external
Kllrnohj wrote:
Not from within windows, but thats not saying something like Norton Ghost (or even just copying from within linux) won't work Smile It would be much more efficient to just copy straight to the new drive, though, rather than going through an external

Bah, I don't know much about linux or networking. I supposed it would be easier just to bum a disc off of a friend Very Happy Ah well, we'll see when the time comes.
Step 1: boot to linux CDs
Step 2: mount harddrives (hardest part - yet still not hard, especially if the distro mounts the drives automatically, like I *think* the ubuntu liveCD does)
Step 3: cp -frv /mnt/harddrive1/* /mnt/harddrive2

Very Happy

But yeah, its definitely easiest to just borrow someone's install CD, lol
Kllrnohj wrote:

Sweet, I've got some old 95 and 98 disks laying around. I just need to be sure I know where they are, then.
I think Vista will only upgrade from XP (just speculation), maybe 2k, but that is a strech (but then again, a lot of offices still use it).
This is getting into slightly dangerous territory, guys, be sure to keep it clean.
True, but being mod and MCP, I think I can make sure things stay good here.
rivereye wrote:
I think Vista will only upgrade from XP (just speculation), maybe 2k, but that is a strech (but then again, a lot of offices still use it).

Why would they do that? MS *wants* people to upgrade. XP accepted all the way back to 95, no reason Vista wouldn't do the same

Quote:
True, but being mod and MCP, I think I can make sure things stay good here.

Stop waiving that MCP around like it actually means something. NO ONE CARES
no bragging, just saying I know how M$ can be strict on things, as I have to watch my back both ways.
As do I, MCP or no MCP.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours