I was just going through my 84+SE trying to clear up some RAM. First, I archived my programs, then went to delete the lists 1-6. When I hit 'del' it went to the homescreen and said "Please install Operating System now." I pressed enter and it said, "Press any key to turn off calc. Press another to turn it on." I pressed enter again and it turned off. I then hit on, and it just came on with a RAM clear. The OS is fine. Any ideas why it did this?
hmm, that is odd. I don't know why it would do that.
Probably a random checksum error generated by an ASM program. Shouldn't be a problem...
Okay, I'll trust you guys. I won't worry about it.
here is an interesting one problem I saw (yet to figure out how to fix it). Teacher was teaching us to program quadriatic formula programs on our calc (that was a boring class), and one student was having a problem. When he ran it, he kept getting a Divide By 0 error. I sent the one I was making to "follow along" and ran it on both calcs. Mine was fine, same error on his. The line is
Code:
(-b + sqr(b^2-4AC))/2A->E
. I reset the RAM on the calc, and still had the same problem. He is using OS 1.17 (which the teacher thought OS 2.x could go on his calc).
rivereye wrote:
here is an interesting one problem I saw (yet to figure out how to fix it). Teacher was teaching us to program quadriatic formula programs on our calc (that was a boring class), and one student was having a problem. When he ran it, he kept getting a Divide By 0 error. I sent the one I was making to "follow along" and ran it on both calcs. Mine was fine, same error on his. The line is
Code:
. I reset the RAM on the calc, and still had the same problem. He is using OS 1.17 (which the teacher thought OS 2.x could go on his calc).

could it be that a = 0 that would cause it
gscm wrote:
rivereye wrote:
Code:

could it be that a = 0 that would cause it

I'm pretty sure they would have set A,B, and C before running the program...
there is the line PROMPT A,B,C in the program, that, and I set the same numbers for both mine and his (I am not an idiot here).
k, and if i offended you i am sorry rivereye
that is ok, I would hope that I would come off smarter than not setting Vars in a program though. I also did check A, and it was what was entered.
Well, if anything, I would try doing one step per line. If It still didn't work, you should be able to see where it messed up.
like I said, it worked fine on mine, but even after a RAM reset, it didn't work on his, I think the interpreter is bad on his.
The only thing that would cause that is A=0. Shock Weirdness.
A bad OS could do that, but sometimes I've had similar problems like when I would do 6.022e23(X) it would give me some error, although I eventually got it fixed. If only I could remember what I did...
Speaking of wierd TI-OS errors, try doing expr("") on a TI-83 regular.... Very Happy
(If I were you, I'd back up everything on my calc first. Evil or Very Mad There's no archive memory on an 83 so you'll lose everything)

Ontopic: If you take out a battery and put it back in while holding delete, the "Please Install OS Now" message comes up.

Oh! Maybe somehow a rst 00h occured while you were pressing delete! The 00h call simulates taking out the batteries and putting them back in.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours