Well, I was wondering if any of you talented computer people have a way to isolate something within an audio file, and edit the rest out??

http://www.stargatecommand-clan.de/navigation/download/m.php?p=atlantiscity-alarm.zip

is the link to the file, and I would like the alarm, all the background noise to be removed... Any help on this would greatly appreciated. Smile
1. Get audacity.
2. Highlight a portion of the clip with the background noise ONLY.
3. Go to Effects -> Noise Removal -> Get Noise Profile
4. Highlight the part with the alarm.
5. Go to Effects -> Noise Removal -> Remove Noise

You might have to play around with how much noise to remove, but that's for you to figure out. Otherwise, works pretty well.
I'd start with something like Audacity, and check for scripts for its built in "language" - worst come to worse, you have to make it yourself, but it shouldn't be too hard with Audacity.

EDIT: Nevermind, seems Jpez had your answer Smile
Why would you need Nyquist when Audacity already has the feature built-in?
jpez wrote:
Why would you need Nyquist when Audacity already has the feature built-in?

Because I didn't know audacity had that built in? I was just offering a potential solution, I didn't say it was the best Razz (I'm not too familiar with Audacity)
Well, next time I am at the library, I will make an attempt to dl that... I hate dialup... :/

Anyone listen to the file? Smile I think the alarm is one of the coolest I have heard for any sci-fi show...
I was gonna say Audacity when I saw the topic's title, but everyone already beat me to it. Smile
i don't know but it seams that is how to do it, can you tell me how it works or if it works, i might want to do this sometime
With Audacity, you can record from the microphone or the soundcard. You then get channels of sound that you can cut, copy, and paste just like text.
Well, hopefully tonight I will have time to dl it, and then I can see if I can't clean up that file. Twould be nice if I could also save it as an mp3 format what I was at it...
I have been trying to make it work, but with no luck. I have highlighted the file, only problem being that NONE of the options work when I do so. Any suggestions, or anyone skilled at it wanting a small challenge?? Smile
Take a screenie or describe the problem better. I'm not sure what you're asking.
DOUBLE POST!!! Mad

But you don't highlight the FILE, you highight just a PART of the file, where there is just the bg noise but no siren, like jpez said
^- and as I said. Wink It's fairly straightforward, and I even think there's a decent Audacity manual somewhere.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours