Would this be a worthwile project to take on?
yes
 100%  [ 20 ]
no
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 20

Kllrnohj wrote:
foamy3 wrote:
Everyone would still need their own legal ROM to use an interpretter. If information on what calculators do with each function isn't in documentation, you need to have a ROM for it.

An interperator wouldn't need or use a ROM at all. It would involve recoding every one of the TI-Basic functions.

Doing an interperator would be interesting (and probably easier than a full on emulator, where accuracy is important), but I'm not sure if it would be helpful or useful...

't would be useful, although some people would complain since there would be no support for omnicalc, xlib, etc
Yeah, and I don't think the speed will really be all too accurate either, but if you ignore the attempt to make it speed accurate, it could prove interesting (and rather funny) to see a basic game running at 100fps+ Laughing
elfprince13 wrote:
...'t would be useful, although some people would complain since there would be no support for omnicalc, xlib, etc
Or indeed for any ASM libraries at all.
Wait wait back-up wait what?!? Things like Omnicalc or Xlib would be too easy to code not to include them in this (with authors' permission, of course Very Happy . I was thinking about making them togglable on and off. Don't y'all go assumin' about what won't be in here. While I don't want to promise too much, nothing's written in stone and extra things like this would be relatively easy to include. Cool

Quote:
Kllrnohjsdlvncms wrote:

Yeah, and I don't think the speed will really be all too accurate either, but if you ignore the attempt to make it speed accurate, it could prove interesting (and rather funny) to see a basic game running at 100fps+ Laughing

You assume I've taken none of this into account. The final product should be more realistic than a calc itself.
haveacalc wrote:
You assume I've taken none of this into account. The final product should be more realistic than a calc itself.

That doesn't even make any sense. How can you be more realistic and accurate than what you are emulating? Answer: You can't
Umm, how are you going to make xlib and omnicalc work? Unless you emulate their functionality as well, which I suppose is an option.
Kllrnohj wrote:
haveacalc wrote:

That doesn't even make any sense. How can you be more realistic and accurate than what you are emulating? Answer: You can't

'tis but a joke. Razz
So what progress do you have so far regarding planning and such?
Everything listed here has been thought through, deemed possible to do, and practical. This is what I'd like to end up having (while keeping things realistic):

The ability to load programs as a string or from a .8xp file will be pretty important, I think. Multi-program support is plausible, too. This means subroutines! Most everything reachable in BASIC will be there. I want to exclude things like Send( and GetCalc(. Even though networked gaming sounds cool, it's not first priority; maybe later, after everything else works. There will be a program editor in the applet (not like the one used on a calc). You'll have the option of running things at the speed of any 83/84 calc. Time functions won't be added immediately. They ain't extremely important to me. There will be keyboard support for every key on the calc, all re-configurable.
I know people are doubting a bit about speed (too fast or too slow, unrealistic). None of that should be a problem, though. Delay will probably be adjustable. There will also be a little count-down, one special to each BASIC command, to give it realistic timing. Also, before a program is run, it'll be kind of mini-compiled, in a way. This will put the program in a format easily (and quickly) readable by the whatever.
Only program-running will be supported; no normal calc activity. As mentioned not too long ago, there will be support for things like Omnicalc and Xlib. It shouldn't be that hard, really. I'm considering pixels fading on and off instead of just changing abruptly, just for grayscale's sake. That's not for certain, though.
Saving things will be a must. Otherwise, what's the point besides just testing things? It should be able to save things in a human-readable format, as well as .8xp.

I don't know whether I'll release the source code or not when it's all done. Probably. Unless someone dies or something, this sdk will be released as both an applet and an executable jar file.

I don't think I left anything out. If I did, I'd like to know, just to make sure I didn't make it that way, forgetting something. Remember how badly I want suggestions (very).

How does it sound? All that remains now is doing it... Wink
haveacalc wrote:
How does it sound? All that remains now is doing it... Wink

Sounds cool. I'm positive I'll use it once it is released. If you want a cool feature, make it so you can enter a ticalc.org link and it will extract the program directly from the .zip on the site and run it without making the user download the program.
Oooooo! That would be a cool feature. You win.

Code:
#include ticalc.org
haveacalc wrote:

Code:
#include ticalc.org

0x5, if only it were that easy Razz
I've considered a similar ticalc.org D/L feature for SC2. Problem is, they dynamically block requests based on usage (remember my sig image?).
Wait! I know what would be more realistic! A TI-BASIC emulator ONCALC! Very Happy
Shock No wai! How about something weird, I dunno, like a plastic shell with buttons and a dedicated processor and memory to run the emulator?
KermMartian wrote:
Shock No wai! How about something weird, I dunno, like a plastic shell with buttons and a dedicated processor and memory to run the emulator?

That sounds too sluggish and unheard of to ever work.
Razz
It should be a while before I'm back (here or CalcGames). The only way to complete this project a timely fashion is to trade the time spent on forums with the time I use coding. That should speed everything up a bit...

See everyone in whoknowswhen.
Ok, I'm really hating the Graphics class. For what I need to do, it's really inefficient. Before I make any more progress on this, I think I'm going to make a calc-oriented version.
** NECROPOSTING ALERT **

Actually, that wasn't a particularly flagrant offense, as you actually added something constructive. gj. And good luck on the calc-oriented version. Razz
I think the whole online calc thing would be a great idea. I was actually thinking about this the other day. That way (you are going to hate me) I could easily access it from a mobile device. (I wonder if that would actually work...) Razz
Well, *I* think I should connect it via USB to my phone, and then make a program on my phone that has it serve as a gCn client, and BOOM, I got wireless internet on my calculator Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours