Would this be a worthwile project to take on?
yes
 100%  [ 20 ]
no
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 20

That is actually a great idea, and a zip extractor built in would be great. You could just download TICalc.org files and use them right away. SWEET!

EDIT:Zip extractor like mentioned above.
Mexi1010 wrote:
That is actually a great idea, and a zip extractor built in would be great. You could just download TICalc.org files and use them right away. SWEET!

EDIT:Zip extractor like mentioned above.

My phone already has a built in file manager w/ ZIP support, so no, I wouldn't waste my time building that in Razz

And I hope you realize I was being sarcastic.... Unless, of course, you want to buy me a $300 copy of Visual Studio so that I can program for my phone (Windows Mobile 5.0), as I have yet to find any free tools whatsoever Rolling Eyes
O God, here we go again with the flaming (EDIT: Fine Kerm I guess you are right its not flaming, it's just him thinking he has to be sooooo freakin intelligent like he is the only one with brains, (Kllblabla your just getting on my nerves a ton, "unless your going to buy me Visual Studio" you sound like a second grader trying to diss someone....)) ...

Can you not have any fun without flaming someone else, everyone knows that is just one big joke. Geez... Rolling Eyes
Mexi1010 wrote:
O God, here we go again with the flaming...

Can you not have any fun without flaming someone else, everyone knows that is just one big joke. Geez... Rolling Eyes
To be fair to Kllrnohj (before he comes back and pwns you in the face), he wasn't actually flaming anywhere in that post. In fact, I thought he was speaking in a mostly jovial manner.
Mexi1010 wrote:
O God, here we go again with the flaming (EDIT: Fine Kerm I guess you are right its not flaming, it's just him thinking he has to be sooooo freakin intelligent like he is the only one with brains, (Kllblabla your just getting on my nerves a ton, "unless your going to buy me Visual Studio" you sound like a second grader trying to diss someone....)) ...

Dude, what the hell? No, seriously, what the hell is wrong with you? I wasn't trying to diss you, I wasn't flaming, I was being 100% honest with you. How in the world am I supposed to buy Visual Studio and program for cell phones WITHOUT ANY MONEY? $300 is a bit too much just to get a $100 calculator online Rolling Eyes Does your web browser not support pictures? Did you not see the 'Razz' smiley? THAT MEANS A JOKE.

In no way was I trying to be all "more intelligent" than anyone - I doubt there is anyone on these forums who could justify buying themselves a copy of Visual Studio. Hell, if they do, I would be willing to write the code and remote into their box to compile it and test it if they didn't want to do the actual coding themselves.

So seriously, just go slit your wrists. As in now. Go on, hurry up. It'll only bleed for a little bit, then the pain is over - for us at least.
KermMartian wrote:
Mexi1010 wrote:
O God, here we go again with the flaming...

To be fair to Kllrnohj (before he comes back and pwns you in the face), he wasn't actually flaming anywhere in that post. In fact, I thought he was speaking in a mostly jovial manner.
Somehow, "I told you so" just doesn't cut it. Very Happy
Lol, that was the funniest thing I've seen today.

Kllrnohj wrote:
Unless, of course, you want to buy me a $300 copy of Visual Studio so that I can program for my phone (Windows Mobile 5.0), as I have yet to find any free tools whatsoever Rolling Eyes

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the express edition of Visual Studio come with a mobile something-or-other?
I would actually like a complete emulator, to test basic and assembly programs, and to go with my online Z80 assembler Razz
VTI, PTI, or TILem. All you need is a ROM (don't ask for one here though).
ericva1992 wrote:
I would actually like a complete emulator, to test basic and assembly programs, and to go with my online Z80 assembler Razz
Assuming you mean a Java one...

If you or anyone else can think of a legal way for calc ROMs to be online, I'd drop this project in an instant and do that instead (that would require knowing the remainder of instructions I haven't yet gotten to, but it's coming pretty quickly). I'm 95% sure that TI would pwn anything of the like, though (I imagine they'll put in an 84+ emulator with that Nspire computer software they're making). I mean, they aren't even ok with someone owning 2 copies of a ROM with only 1 of that kind of calc.
Yes I do mean a java one, so I can run it as an applet on the school computers when I'm supposed to be doing work. Also, doesn't TI distribute the 83+, 83+SE, and 73 roms freely with the SDK?
that darn license wrote:
The use of this Program requires you to install a ROM image from a TI graphing calculator that you own. The ROM image is protected by copyright.

It would only be legal if there were a good way to verify that you do, in fact, own the calc you're trying to emulate. It would be impractical to upload a private rom for each user, and reading the ROM from the computer each time would defeat the purpose of an online emulator... Maybe ID checking ("About" screen)?
could still be spoofed. How about only certain people are allowed access to the emulator (and those for their calcs).
Quote:
could still be spoofed. How about only certain people are allowed access to the emulator (and those for their calcs).

Why not just give it Username and Password protection?
Still not a good enough way. You would have to require the user to upload their own ROM, do a diff check, and issue them a key based on whether it passed the diff or not. Even so, TI might have serious issues.
I could just be a jerk and make a disclaimer saying that I'm not responsible for any use of the emulator and that it would be a good idea to sue the users (and those hosting the emulator) instead of me. Razz
haveacalc wrote:
I could just be a jerk and make a disclaimer saying that I'm not responsible for any use of the emulator and that it would be a good idea to sue the users (and those hosting the emulator) instead of me. Razz
Still wouldn't cut it, imo. I think TI would cease-and-desist you in the face.
haveacalc wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the express edition of Visual Studio come with a mobile something-or-other?

Gladly. You are wrong Razz I tried the Express Editions, but the Windows Mobile SDK won't accept it as a Visual Studio install. It has to be a Standard edition or higher. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms838188.aspx (rather lengthy) - or just go here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsmobile/bb264337.aspx and look at the "Install VS 2005" part.

In the past, it seems, there was a specialized (free) version of visual studio called eMbedded Visaul Studio, but they cut that for the windows mobile 2005 - only Visual Studio Standard edition or higher now supports that.
how can TI put restrictions on something they distribute freely from their website?

Edit: Would it be legal to tell everybody and go download a ROM from education.ti.com and then upload it? It seems just wrong, but I don't understand this legal stuff.
that magical liscence agreement you agree to before you get something freely.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours