After finding out some cool patterns when toying with GHCi (I already forgot most of them -- hence the thread), I decided it would be a cool topic for everyone to share the little math related "discoveries" you find (i.e. cool patterns, functional relations, graphing cool stuff with an equation, neat tricks for solving complex problems, etc.) and post them here (and potentially have other people tell you who discovered them first and what the name of the "discovery" you made actually is)

I'll start, by a seemingly cool thing I found, which turns out to be just a regular pattern seen a lot in mathematics (difference of two squares).

I was playing around with functions in GHCi, and came up with this one:

Code:
f(a) -> f(b) -> f(c) = a^2 + b + c

I realized how when all arguments were natural numbers with digits composed only of 9's, and arguments a, b, and c are equal, it would return a natural number composed of only 9's with double the digit length as the parameters. So then to test it easier, I went to this:

Code:
pattern = pattern 9 1 []
pattern number index list = if index < 100
   then pattern (number*10+digit) (index+1) (number^2+(2*number):list)
   else list
   where digit = 9

(^ this is what I remember typing, may be slightly off, since I closed the window before I could copy down the working version. This should work however)

It seemed to show that for at least the first 100 natural numbers whose digits were composed of only 9s, this pattern showed to be true. This is when I realized it followed something more like the pattern of (x-1)(x+1)=x^2-1, in this case with {x|x x % 10 = 0}, since the result will always be a difference of two squares that produce a natural number composed of 9s (and therefore must be a power of ten decremented by one).

To tell a long story short, math is fun. The example above is really trivial and stupid, but I think is a good way to start off a thread like this. Share any find you have here; it makes math more interesting for all of us Smile
Fascinating, thanks for sharing that. It's 6am and I'm about to fall asleep, so I can't come up with any more intelligent critique of your very long and thorough post at the moment, but I will leave you with one little math fact that you might already know: the arrangement of structures in the middle of a sunflower almost perfectly follow the Fibonacci Sequence. Random internet link with more info:

http://www.popmath.org.uk/rpamaths/rpampages/sunflower.html
The number of binary trees with n nodes is C(n) (catalan number). The number of /arbitrary/ trees with n nodes is C(n-1).
KermMartian wrote:
Fascinating, thanks for sharing that. It's 6am and I'm about to fall asleep, so I can't come up with any more intelligent critique of your very long and thorough post at the moment, but I will leave you with one little math fact that you might already know: the arrangement of structures in the middle of a sunflower almost perfectly follow the Fibonacci Sequence. Random internet link with more info:

http://www.popmath.org.uk/rpamaths/rpampages/sunflower.html

Actually, I never knew that -- that's actually really cool Very Happy thanks for sharing.
It's only sort of on subject, but do you guys perform mental square-rooting the same way I do? And mental squaring? Or, since I haven't explained it yet, do you do either or both of those mentally, and how?
Um, I use my calculator. For everything. Even single-digit addition and subtraction.
KermMartian wrote:
It's only sort of on subject, but do you guys perform mental square-rooting the same way I do? And mental squaring? Or, since I haven't explained it yet, do you do either or both of those mentally, and how?

I don't do it mentally, but I can do it with pen and paper.
I can do it on paper, I'd have to re-read how to do it (which I will in a few minutes), but typically I use a "close enough" guess. ie, sqrt(37) is ~6.1, sqrt(140) is a little less than 12, etc. If I really needed a closer number, I would use my calculator.
I learned how to do it on paper a while ago, but I kind of do what tanner does and try to get two squares surrounding the number, and base the decimal part by evaulating quickly like this:

If the distance between the number (x^2) and (y^2) is d and the number in question is z, yield these numbers if z is around these thresholds from (x^2):

.1d -> .1
.2d -> .15 - .2
.3d -> .3 - .4
.5d -> .65 - .8
.7d -> .9 - .95
.9d -> just pick something like .98 or along those lines

It usually works well enough for a quick evaluation. Once you remember the distance zone and correlated values for the decimal sections, it's rather easy with easy squares like 1-400.
The length of a diagonal is equal to one and a half of half of the sum of the lengths of the vertical and horizontal lines used to form it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours