After lots of thought and testing, the results of Cemetech Contest #2: Strategy are in. First of all, I did not create a definite scale here, as I thought one for this broad category would be very difficult. For this contest, we had 4 people enter the contest, and three different projects. The first two programs were a port of the popular battleship game in which you play the computer. One version was made by [Outside the Box Programming] and the other by Something1990. There was also a program called Tower of Defense made by Harq, and Brink of Krieg (BOK) by Sage Orator. After much thought (and fun or playing the games), I have decided on the placings of the contest. 4th place is BOK by Sage Orator. 3rd Place is Battleship by Something1990. And in second place is Battleship by [Outside the Box Programming] making first place Tower of Defense by Harq. Notes will follow on what I thought on each program. All entries were great, and hope to see more people and better programs for the next Cemetech contest. Until then, congragulations. I now turn it over to Kerm for prizes and awards.
Notes:

BOK
Are there limited funds, if so, need to be shown
second, does the enemy start with anything?
some stuff does not build
documentation needs to be a tad bit better (maybe a walkthrough on how to play)
enemy levels would be nice to see
great graphics
orginal

Battleship (something1990)
Needed to reset RAM to play (might want to be looked at) (had over 20k free)
needs to say when ship is sunk (both sides)
not a fan of the ship that is only one block in size
graphics are good

Battleship (calc84maniac)
level difficulty nice touch
uses actualy ships
faster
no graphics (not that they are needed)
documentation needs to say how to tell hit from miss
very much like the handheld game
jumps over already used squares (nice feature)

Tower
weird error when ungrouping (had to reset RAM)
can build a level 1 tower over a level 2 tower
needs to show how many enimies are in a wave
interestingly done
needs a way to destroy tower
Congratulations to all who participated in this Cemetech Contest. I hope you enjoyed working on your entries; I know we certainly enjoyed judging them. I have prizes to award to the participants! All of you get to use the following userbar:

For Something1990, the third place winner, we have this:

For Outside the Box Programming's members, we have this:

For Harq, this contest's first place winner, we have this and a full membership in the BASIC Elite:

Finally, I have this new bar to offer Rivereye and myself:

Congrats and good luck on upcoming contests to all!
Sort of what I expected. Congrats Harq! I've been working on my game since the contest and I feel that it's a lot better. Thanks so much for the feedback, that really helps.

Yes there are limited funds, you start with 350 and get something like 150 every new day. Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to include that in the next version.

No, the enemy is supposed to be nomadic as opposed to the society that you are.

There are various reasons why it wouldn't build. You could not have enough money, the proper building to be able to get certain buildings, and for the reaper you need to have done unit research. I am not aware of anything not working otherwise, though I will probably display why they won't build in the next version.

Yeah I can see that, I was going to have people figure it out though I suppose it could be frustrating.
Good job, Sage, glad to see you've continued to fine-tune and improve your entry since the contest. I look forward to playing it as a completed game.
Shock Cool, I won Very Happy I wasn't expecting that due to speed. and you can place level one towers on anything.
Yup, you had quite an enjoyable entry. It's more palatable on an SE, of course.
I tested it on an 84+ se and all of the things were black. Does the 84 series have a adifferent way of drawing a white line?

Edit: Shock Shock Shock Shock I did not notice the full BE membership, gosh. I do not think it really quite deserves it, it was only against 3 people. Maybe an apprentice?
Btw, I'm the only member of Outside the Box Programming. Wink
I thought I had modiffied the post before I posted it, ah well. Harq, when I said destroy a tower, not even have a level 1 tower on a square (in case a person wanted to get rid of it). Also, Harq, what set you over the edge was a little more orginality than battleship.
Oh thanks, I am glad that I did not give up when I realized how slow it was.
Good job to everyone that participated!

Can you give others a copy of their games so we can play them and test them out also? That would be nice.

I joined this site a little after the deadline, so I will have to wait for the next contest.

Do you have any idea when the next contest will be, or what the next contest will be about?

I am kind of assuming that all contest entries must be written entirely in basic, with no outside help, but could you make a separate contest for ASM, or for 89s, or maybe Basic with an ASM library?
yeah, something speed all depends on the program. Like with battleship, I really liked the graphics in the one version (there were great, some of the best I have ever seen), but I chose speed for mine. A game like tower, I would take some graphics and sacrifice some speed.
Quote:
Do you have any idea when the next contest will be, or what the next contest will be about?

We are working on that at the moment (there is a post on contest #3

Quote:
I am kind of assuming that all contest entries must be written entirely in basic, with no outside help, but could you make a separate contest for ASM, or for 89s, or maybe Basic with an ASM library?

Currently, we are doing all BASIC ones, but on any platform (as in, you can program for the 89). There are some where we might do ASM/ASM lib also, but Kerm and I would have to talk on which libs would be allowed.
When do I get my custom title?
You have it right now, as far as I can tell, assuming that my computer is not messed up, and that it is indeed your signature that I am seeing, not just some weird halucination. Very Happy

So, what about an 89 contest, or the other contests (like I said in my last post)?
I actually started working on mine at the beginning of summer, but I abandoned it and deleted it. I made a new version when you announced the contest. The thing that gave me the idea was that I remembered a game a long time ago that was Warcraft 3 Tower Defense on the homescreen. It was just some guys going in a straight line (search TIcalc for it).

P.S. there are always 10 enemies in a wave
he does not have the custom title right now, but Kerm will give him one, and when he reaches 1000 posts, then he can change at will (as can all members).
When you say that Kerm will give me a custom title, does that mean he will pick it for me?
calc84maniac wrote:
When you say that Kerm will give me a custom title, does that mean he will pick it for me?

No, you choose it. I have a custom title, I just haven't asked Kerm to set it to anything yet, I will wait till 1 k posts and do it myself.
People who deserve custom titles, PM me and I'll set them. Also, I'll add these entries to the archives.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours