By "your real name" you mean your real name, right? Razz

But who's going to be publishing the printed version? 'tis the real question
Well, it probably wouldn't be a big-name group like O'Reilly - maybe the Idiots's Guide or .... for Dummies people?
ah, i was thinking this would be an ebook, in which case i believe it should be free, though allow redistribution sites to charge like $0.50 if nessesary to cover bandwith, i would not help for an actual book, other than providing hosting services if needed, but i would be happy to help with an ebook, maybe even package it for ipod
Ah. No no, I was considering creating an actual paper book for perusal by those interested in programming.
I think going the self-publishing route would probably make the most sense. I don't think you could convince a notable publisher, such as O'Reilly or Wrox, to publish a TI-Basic Programming book. At this point, though, this is a moot issue as the content still needs to be created and polished. (This is where the wiki comes into play.) As far as credits go, I have no problem using my real name as most people already know it. If I'm going to spend time writing the book, then I would like to be given credit for it.
[english_butler_accent] I am quite knowledgable about TI-Basic myself. [/english_butler_accent]
SO WHY CAN'T I BE A BASIC ELITE APPRENTICE?! Mad
calc84maniac wrote:
[english_butler_accent] I am quite knowledgable about TI-Basic myself. [/english_butler_accent]
SO WHY CAN'T I BE A BASIC ELITE APPRENTICE?! Mad

Because you have to prove yourself worthy? But this is not the thread to be asking that anyway....
It's actually Elite status that you must prove yourself worthy for. And I think a TI-Basic book is a great idea.
calc84maniac wrote:
It's actually Elite status that you must prove yourself worthy for. And I think a TI-Basic book is a great idea.

Its actually both, although Kerm has lessened the requirements for apprentice significantly
KermMartian wrote:
Well, it probably wouldn't be a big-name group like O'Reilly - maybe the Idiots's Guide or .... for Dummies people?

Can you imagine how insulted the Calculator community would be? Razz

Just Joking

P.S. speaking of Basic Elite, have I gotten apprentice yet?
Argh, /me really needs to look at the 1337 application pending queue more often.
KermMartian wrote:
Argh, /me really needs to look at the 1337 application pending queue more often.

I meant form the contest Wink
Erm, I believe I already did that for ya... didn't I?
/me checks
Wow, I had forgotten. Ooops, sorry about that; fixed it now.
Yay for me, I can post in that forum now Wink
/me is working on a special program just in case! Smile
For what, attaining full 1337 status? Good luck with that, and if I can manage to remember to log into my email, I'll see what I can do about gettng rid of the pending Queue.
KermMartian wrote:
Kinda like my tutorial + Dan's tutorial + the 1337 guide + a lot more. The problem with doing it as a community is how to share revenues. Who knows, maybe I'll make one secretly and you'll all be wondering one day where this mysterious bestseller on the market by <my real name> came from. Cool

Related to the revenue sharing issue, I was recently thinking about how you would market the book. The one possibility that I came up with is to contact TI and offer to bundle the book with their manual. It could be a supplement for teaching TI-Basic, essentially building off the manual as a foundation to teach them everything else they need to know about TI-Basic to become a competent programmer. The primary market would be highschool students, so even if TI just charged a couple extra dollars per calculator that would still be affordable.
That's an interesting idea. Or, one could try to publish it independently, then induce TI to sell it in their store.
that would be a better idea I would think. I don't know if there is enough BASIC though to make a great book on it (but I may be wrong also, seeing Kerm's earlier post).
Oh, I definitely think there's enough for a book. Between game theory, perhaps a bit of digital logic design (and, or, xor, not etc), advanced features, optimizations, and such, I think it would be more than enough material for a book.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours