Quote:
This is an oddly-named ASM utility designed to empower BASIC programs with... well, stuff.

Currently, it reads to and writes from any BASIC program. Reading can be accomplished from RAM or Archive. It creates a new program variable so that you can insert these new lines into it. It performs archive/unarchive of a specified variable on command. It outputs the doublequote and the STO symbol into a string for substring extraction so that you can insert into your BASIC program commands that require the use of the STO symbol (i.e. writing a command to store info to a string).

So far, it's been relatively stable, but I don't want to "release" it just yet. I just feel a little leery about releasing something potentially buggy, so I'd rather want to put it through beta testing prior to release.

The potential of this project is great. Some suggested or possible uses include:

- Writing BASIC programs that contain nothing but string data
- Reading from archive the aforementioned programs.
- Simple archiving/unarchiving of program variables
- Create and edit your own files from a BASIC program
- SMC in BASIC programs (limited. Use at own risk)

Do you think I should add in a few more "features"? If so, what might be useful?
I can think of a few but I'm not sure how useful they'd be.
My thoughts:
- Program deletion. Just thought about it.
- Address saving for quickly reading/writing at the end of large files (though it may slow down reading/writing of small files) if doing so in sequential order. I say this because during testing, replacing lines at the end of a 900 line program was taking too long. I'm sure reading would be no different.
- Retrieve amount of RAM remaining. I was told this was unnecessary.
- Retrieve amount of RAM a certain program variable is using. Ditto above.

Any thoughts of yours?
(Btw, this program currently weighs in at 700-800 bytes. Would this be a problem?)

If this is truly going to be bug free, this would open up new areas for Pokemon Purple to get to...

http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopic=5771&st=0&p=89125&#entry89125
Seems like an interesting concept, but there are plenty of applications for misuse causing crashing, especially with n00blier BASIC programmers.
I saw that this morning, although 'twould still be awesome if you could save it in lists instead.
Yeah, I agree. That would be far more useful for BASIC programmers.
KermMartian wrote:
Seems like an interesting concept, but there are plenty of applications for misuse causing crashing, especially with n00blier BASIC programmers.

Oh, so I am n00blie now, huh? Razz

I think I would be able to put this to good use, since it would be far better to have a program to hold on to data that would only be in RAM long enough to copy from and write to.

Until it is not buggy, though, I will still be using the lists system...