How can you not see the joke? Duo=2 or a pair, so it's like saying Core 2 2 or Core Duo Duo; why don't they just say Core 4 or Core Quartet? Razz
ah, that. The reason is the 2 probably means that is the second generation Core processors.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
How can you not see the joke? Duo=2 or a pair, so it's like saying Core 2 2 or Core Duo Duo; why don't they just say Core 4 or Core Quartet? Razz
As rivereye said, the Duo and the 2 probably refer to two different things, number of cores and generation.
Kllrnohj wrote:
And lets not forget the games, and all their gorgeous glory, which Macs completely miss out on

Entirely true. If I didn't want to play games, I'd just be running Linux. Point is, if you don't want to play games, Linux or other *nix systems can handle all your needs, and otherwise Windoze has you covered.
Okay, so no one seemed to get my sarcasm... <_<
rivereye wrote:
Quote:
MACS ARE NOW PCS

In my understanding of the word PC, it is a personal computer, and in a computer that was designed for personal/home use. In that asspect, the Mac, having always been a computer designed for personal use, even in the Apple II age, has always been a PC. That is another thing to take into account for them.

PC is most commanly accepted as being x86, as that as become the de facto standard for PCs (Also known as "IBM-Compatible PC") - Apple is the one that popularize the PC acronym, but obviously they have abandaned that and now see it as a bad thing - at least if you judge their attacks on the 'PC' label in their commercials Razz Typical Apple hypocrisy and "holier than thou" attitude Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Also, Macs (if I remember correctly) run the Intel Core Duo, right? We have the Core 2 Duo which kicks the pants off of a Core Duo for the Windows based machine.

Mac's are running NOTHING exclusive AT ALL in terms of HARDWARE. Core 2 Duos are available in the market for anyone. Remember that initially macs had the same crappy Core Duo as most windows based machines. Now that the Core 2 Duo is released, the intergration into the mac line was faster than most OEMs, but actually product availability in the market was actually in slight favor of non-mac PCs, as that was the "launch platform"

You can put Core 2's in most motherboards that have a recent (higher-end) northbridge (obviously this only applies to Intel socket 775 mobos Very Happy )

The only thing that is at all exclusive to the new macs at this point is the EFI boot, which is a future replacement (potentially) for the BIOS. That doesn't impact performance in any way, shape, or form.

@Ult Dev'r, there is the Core Solo/Duo, which are just rebadged Pentium M CPUs. Then there are the Core 2 Solo/Duo, which are the new chips based on an entirely new microarchitecture. The '2' means its the new core, whereas the Duo just means its dual core. There are also Core 2 Solo processors, but there aren't many of them. There will eventually be a Core 2 Quad Wink

It is a pretty stupid naming scheme - that would be like calling a new car engine the "Cylinder" Laughing

EDIT: As you can see, Core 2 Duos aren't exotic or expensive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115005 - starting at a whopping $180! Rolling Eyes (with, of course, a full product line spanning price ranges all the way up to $1,000)
Kllrnohj wrote:
It is a pretty stupid naming scheme - that would be like calling a new car engine the "Cylinder" 0x5
Wouldn't It be Cylinder Quattro, Cylinder Ses, Cylinder Eocho (sp?)?
No; it would be quartet, quintet, etc.

Quote:
Okay, so no one seemed to get my sarcasm... <_<

Quote:
@Ult Dev'r, there is the Core Solo/Duo, which are just rebadged Pentium M CPUs. Then there are the Core 2 Solo/Duo, which are the new chips based on an entirely new microarchitecture. The '2' means its the new core, whereas the Duo just means its dual core. There are also Core 2 Solo processors, but there aren't many of them. There will eventually be a Core 2 Quad Wink

It is a pretty stupid naming scheme - that would be like calling a new car engine the "Cylinder"

>exhales< Rolling Eyes
when is the last time you saw a 5 cylinder engine??
There is a company that uses 5 cylinder engines, believe it or not... Razz Can't remember the name, but the engine was shaped like a W...

Plus, there is an engine that has no cylinders. That would be in the Mazda RX-7's... Very Happy
KermMartian wrote:
when is the last time you saw a 5 cylinder engine??

*cough* http://www.chevrolet.com/colorado/features/ *cough* (note the 3.7L I5 engine Razz )

@Tifreak: Don't forget the RX-8 Wink
Cars have been the topic of discussion recently...we need a car topic.
YAY! FELLOW MAC HATERS! W00T!

My brother got a macbook and he in his own little dilluted world thought that it would be as powerful as a G5...... I was laughing when it took like 5 hours to download a movie off of his camera(DV) and save it, and even then, the last half of the movie was just BLACK with sound.

Macs Suck Majorly
*deluded. But yeah, while I think that aesthetically Macs are well- designed, their functionality is sadly lacking.
netham45 wrote:
My brother got a macbook and he in his own little dilluted world thought that it would be as powerful as a G5...... I was laughing when it took like 5 hours to download a movie off of his camera(DV) and save it, and even then, the last half of the movie was just BLACK with sound.

Um... Unless he was encoding it as he was downloading it, the fastest computer in the world wouldn't do that any faster. That is a function of the bandwidth available on whatever connection you were using, be it USB, USB 2.0, Firewire, etc... and the speed at which your camera can send the data. The macbook's harddrive is more than fast enough to keep up with your DV camera

If half the movie was just black with sound, that would again be your cameras fault, and not the mac's. Saving video doesn't involve converting it (unless you were encoding on the fly - doubtful), and hence the mac book would have had 0 effect on the quality of the video saved.

A macbook using the new Core 2 Duo IS faster than the G5 Razz
Yeeeah, I thought that rant sounded a little unjustified, but I couldn't quite put my finger on why. There we go.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours