Welcome to the topic for the sequel of Basic Basic Revolution (Now renamed to BBR Classic), titled Basic Basic Revolution: The Graphical. Can this even be considered a sequel? Anyway, this version has new improved graphics over the home screen-based BBRev Classic.

BBRev Classic: https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=306175#306175
This looks quite cool. Do you use Celtic CE to draw the sprites?
DJ Omnimaga wrote:

Nope! This is all written in pure Basic, using plot sprites.
One word, How, that is very impressive, how do you do that? Dude, you're giving me some good thoughts for the intro of TI-wars
linkjt9 wrote:
One word, How, that is very impressive, how do you do that? Dude, you're giving me some good thoughts for the intro of TI-wars

Magic! Hehe, sorry.
It takes some time and practice, and a lot of ON breaks. To be honest, I'm still not entirely familiar with working with the graph screen, but one can learn Smile
StephenM wrote:
DJ Omnimaga wrote:

Nice idea! Plot sprites are quite fast. I have the Zelda logo saved somewhere (I should really publish it or post the code somewhere) and on a CSE it loads in about 1.5 seconds and even faster on CE calcs.
Can you display things over plot sprites?
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
StephenM wrote:
DJ Omnimaga wrote:

Nice idea! Plot sprites are quite fast. I have the Zelda logo saved somewhere (I should really publish it or post the code somewhere) and on a CSE it loads in about 1.5 seconds and even faster on CE calcs.

Is there a good tool you recommend to make plot sprites? To make those two icons, I had GIMP up on my laptop with the sprite open, and the builtin list editor on the calc. This process was an absolute pain in the rear, the dance icon taking ~15min for the actual design while it took an ENTIRE HOUR to port to the calculator. sorry for my little rant there
linkjt9 wrote:
Can you display things over plot sprites?

I mean, yeah,

Code:
Plot1(Scatter,L1,L2,smallplotpoint,COLOR1
ClrDraw
Line(0,0,264,164,1,COLOR2

Note: I prefer to use the following window dimensions when dealing with sprites:

Code:
ZStandard
0→Xmin
264→Xmax
0→Ymin
164→Ymax
Would that display the line as well as the plot sprites at the same time?
linkjt9 wrote:

Yes. To my experience and understanding, plots only draw until the next ClrDraw or screen update. So, the example code I gave draws the plot, then the line on top of it.
StephenM wrote:
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
StephenM wrote:
DJ Omnimaga wrote:

Is there a good tool you recommend to make plot sprites? To make those two icons, I had GIMP up on my laptop with the sprite open, and the builtin list editor on the calc. This process was an absolute pain in the rear, the dance icon taking ~15min for the actual design while it took an ENTIRE HOUR to port to the calculator. sorry for my vent there
Since I was using line-based stat plots to speed drawing up I made a program that lets you choose a pixel on the screen then it saved the coordinates in two lists until I no longer needed to enter any coordinates. There was no undo feature, though.

I hate programming graphics on my ce in basic which is why I still programmed my se for the longest time because I had full screen power. Then Celtic ce made my life easier.
StephenM wrote:
linkjt9 wrote:

Yes. To my experience and understanding, plots only draw until the next ClrDraw or screen update. So, the example code I gave draws the plot, then the line on top of it.

Yea I originally had a for loop that was changing the L2 of the plot to make it look like someone was looking up at the star and I accidentally put the line in there so it would like kinda of do a seizure because the plot had to clear the other data on top of it, so my bad.
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
StephenM wrote:
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
StephenM wrote:
DJ Omnimaga wrote:

Is there a good tool you recommend to make plot sprites? To make those two icons, I had GIMP up on my laptop with the sprite open, and the builtin list editor on the calc. This process was an absolute pain in the rear, the dance icon taking ~15min for the actual design while it took an ENTIRE HOUR to port to the calculator. sorry for my vent there
Since I was using line-based stat plots to speed drawing up I made a program that lets you choose a pixel on the screen then it saved the coordinates in two lists until I no longer needed to enter any coordinates. There was no undo feature, though.

Neat!

Though, I'm not completely familiar with working with xyLine plot sprites, sooooo guess I should create my own Scatter Plot sprite editor
Question: Is an achievement system suitable for this type of game?
I would think so, you could have like this many perfects, or like a secret level, such as so that one could play the game without winning but still get achievements for doing something cool.
I have made quite a bit of progress on this. However, the game still needs a few weeks till it's ready for a release. Happy April fools by the way.

Also, would BBRG be considered v1.0 or 2.0? I suppose anything v1.x is Classic, and now v2.x is this, since these are under the same name of BBR.
The graphics you shared in the first post are simultaneously some of the most obnoxious and some of the most impressive I've seen in my recent memory. Great work, and I'd love to see more.

xyLine plots aren't quite as intimidating as they might seem. The basic premise is that you store X coordinates in one list (say, L1), and Y coordinates in another list (L2), and lines are drawn from the nth point to the n+1th point (i.e. from the first to the second point, from the second to the third, repeat until there are no more points). This will undoubtedly save you some time because you only need to enter the corners of the shape rather than the entire interior.

As for a program to assist, you can make one yourself relatively easily by noting that Input with no arguments allows the user to select a point on the graph screen (the resulting point is stored in X and Y). Store this to a pair of lists and use the plot to show what the user has already drawn (perhaps optionally provide some mechanism for the user to "undo"-- I suggest that selecting 0, 0 should mean "undo the previous point" because it's easy to remember and check for) and you're done Smile

Another technique which I toyed with a little bit (but never fully explored or used in a game) is to "rough out" the design with the larger plot-on symbols before "finishing" the design by erasing and/or drawing pixels until the desired shape is reached.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours