Is there a way to tell just by looking if a modem is a winmodem or a serial hardware modem? The modem I have is pretty old and I can't find it on the manufacturer's website. If I posted a pic do you think you guys could tell me?

And how can you tell if a modem is a winmodem before you buy it? Do you think any of these aren't?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16825132002
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16825116110
Do you want a win modem, or are you trying to avoid a win modem? Win modem's aren't good, as they just mimic in software which is normally otherwise done in hardware, which will just slow things down and add overhead (more so than normal with 56k)

As for those two modems, neither are technically win modems, as it is done in hardware ( v.92 and plug-and-play)
I do not want a winmodem. (Bolding for clarification purposes; not mocking you) I can't get linux to find my current modem. I'm also about help my friend install Ubuntu, and he has dial-up. He really only wants linux for internet usage. I didn't realize before that it had major dial-up problems. Everyone here where I live has dial-up, so I don't think about it not being common everywhere else.
*bump*

This is a PCI card (so it says.). The modem currently in my comp is longer. See, at the bottom left of the picture, there are 11 little shiny strips. My modem has 18 on that part. I think I see PCI slots next to it on the mobo. If those are PCI, then what type is my current modem?
take a picture of it, its hard to say for certain.
*not dial-up friendly: I'll just post links*

/me laughs at the irony of the situation.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/foamy3/modem2.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/foamy3/modem1.png
Shoulda scanned it. *points to avatar*

Laughing Laughing

I'm to much of a good mood right now Rolling Eyes And thats rather ironic right now. VERY ironic. Cause just moments ago. I just added a rather depressing poem on my Picasa Gallery Confused
I did scan it. You can't tell? Or was that sarcasm?

I really should buy a digital camera one of these days...
Surprised I thought you took a picture. My bad. =X. Haha. I shall still laugh. Razz Laughing Rolling Eyes Wink Very Happy
My guess is its an ISA card (aka, a "legacy" card Razz )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industry_Standard_Architecture
Nice call; the wikipedia pics match perfectly to that part of my mobo.

You laughed about it being ISA. I take it it's obsolete?

And when I install a new modem, how do I know what COM port it uses? Is that just whichever PCI slot I plug it into?
No, I laugh at the scanning joke I made. I don't know much about comp parts. Just how to work computers.
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
No, I laugh at the scanning joke I made. I don't know much about comp parts. Just how to work computers.

I was talking to Kllrnohj. Rolling Eyes
o.. I don't conisder ' Razz ' laughing... XD This is laughing to me Laughing . =P
foamy3 wrote:
You laughed about it being ISA. I take it it's obsolete?

Yeah, kinda went out of style when 16bit died Laughing Microsoft recommended in 1997 that ISA slots be removed entirely, so figure they completely died off around 7 or 8 years ago....

PCI doesn't use COM ports, where did you get that from? o.0
foamy3 wrote:
And when I install a new modem, how do I know what COM port it uses? Is that just whichever PCI slot I plug it into?

Usually, I have something along the lines of COM1, COM2, COM5. The last one would be the modem. Whether that's the case or not, device manager should tell you which COM port is what, and you can always check which ports you've got before and after you plug the card in.
Quote:
PCI doesn't use COM ports, where did you get that from? o.0

He's referring to which com port is pointing to his modem.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
He's referring to which com port is pointing to his modem.

....and both modems he is looking at (or linked to) are PCI modems. Aka, no com ports Smile (also note the "is it just what PCI slot it is plugged into" part of his post Wink )
No; his modem is pci, so it doesn't physically connect to a "COMM" port (serial, parallel, etc.) But in windows you can use COMM ports to address the modem (case in point: hyperterminal)
His modem is actually ISA right now Wink, but I understand what you are saying. What I am saying is that he needn't worry about the COM port if he just wants dial-up internet access, as that is handled in plug and play - and it sounds like all he wants is dial-up internet access with a new PCI modem

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours