So I found out that there are sysroutines available for floating point operations, I just don't understand how to use them and what type of floating point it uses.

Could someone please make a small guide of sorts on floating point operations on the ti-84pce?
These resources describes the floating point number format:

The latter mentions some bcalls you can call on floating-point numbers. While both guides were written pre-TI-84 Plus CE, both apply to this calculator.
Furthermore, I carefully implemented their behavior and layout in Rust, if you're familiar with that. This is more information than the link guide and the floats part of kg's library because I implemented arithmetic operations in a way that (to the best of my knowledge!) produces results consistent with TI's routines.

TI's float format is a bespoke "decimal float" system. Ordinary binary floats do not round predictably (i.e. like a human would performing the same calculation), so TI trades off some size and speed in favor of this. It's worth noting many of TI's routines (truncate? round? I forget) to 10 digits of precision before computing their result.

TI actually provides a guide (which TI-Toolkit redistributes here) which provides limited documentation for certain portions of the calculator that they were at one point comfortable with people using. It was written for the 83+, so most of it will be the same except that addresses are 24 bits and also probably different than what is listed (but the equates should be the same name) and we use the call instruction instead of the z80 calcs' B_CALL macro.

Any more specific advice depends on what you're doing Smile
I'll offer my own library implementation as additional reference for the format.

It's mostly redundant given the link guide and iPhoenix's library, though there are details for dealing with the other number types, in particular the exact types found on the TI-83PCE, should you be interested.
If that's the route we're going down, I have Arduino-compatible C++ for converting between these TI floating point variables and standard ints and IEEE 754 doubles in ArTICL that may also be useful as a reference.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours