even though this is probably impossible i have this suggestion: what if you could create a new os for all the caluclators ti-83 calculator family. and what it would do is once sent to your calc and you run it it makes a complete backup of your current os and sends it to your computer and than overrights the one already on it. and then with the new os it has commands specifically made to make game programming easier in basic than it already is.
making an OS is very possible, although making a *good* one is a great deal harder. You wouldn't need any sort of OS backup tool, however, as those be freely downloaded from ti's website Wink For example, here are two substitute OS's for the 83+ calculators http://www.ticalc.org/pub/83plus/os/

The new language is what should instead be focused on, as that is a much more difficult, yet more promising, alternative to a completely new OS. After all, while games are fun, it is primarily a calculator, so a new OS is pretty much out for most of us, as the calculator is still needed to actually DO math and graphing Wink
/me points to vera
/me points to mlc/fastrpl/whatever that thing at DS is called
/me shuts up
true, would be great to see something that would work well for a second language, or another OS that would work well also.
I'm seriously considering FastRPL or some other game-optimized interpreted language as the keystone of DCS 7...
/me points to that language I started designing (and wrote most of the parsing routines for)
/me can't see where The Tari is pointing to, precisely.
/me also wonders if The Tari is making progress with sorting...
Sorting's coming along, I'll see if I can get the routines assembled and debugged tomorrow.
Superb. I'm thinking built-in with an option in Display (to replace the dummy, unused "Safe Driver" checkbox - what do you think?
Sounds great. I need to get a ROM image from my calc to debug, and I won't be around for at least 7 hours today, so it'll probably get done tomorrow.
Superbulous. I'll start setting up the menus to accept this and the new link screen.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours