How do I get rid of trojans on my computer? When I click delete in my security service, it says that it can't be deleted, verify that the file is not write-protected and try again.

Please help!
what anti-virus program are you using? I use AVG-Free Edition, although you can also try googling for the trojan and seeing specific ways to remove it

however, the best way is to reformat and reinstall windows - its the only way to be completely positive its gone
I'm using McAfee. It said it's a low threat. According to McAfee, there are some other low-threat trojans on my computer I didn't even know about.
there is no such thing as a low-threat trojan, although I would highly recommend getting rid of McAfee - it tends to not only do a crappy job, but also has its OWN ads as part of the program
Do you know how I could "verify that the file is not write-protected"? I have no clue what that even means. But maybe that would allow me to delete the trojan?

I logged off, then logged back on and everything seemed to be OK.

Edit: I navigated to the directory where the trojan is supposed to be (in temporary internet files) and the only thing there is a .dat file.
Usually this means that the file is currently running (because you can't delete it when it is running). To get around this, you can try finding the process and killing it, or if that doesn't work, you can try booting into safe mode and deleting it.
Chipmaster wrote:
Usually this means that the file is currently running (because you can't delete it when it is running). To get around this, you can try finding the process and killing it, or if that doesn't work, you can try booting into safe mode and deleting it.

which still probably won't work.

@MDR: Just because you can't SEE it doesn't mean it isn't THERE - remember the whole rootkit thing? Try using Trend Micro's House Call ( http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ )
http://www.ubcd4win.com/ It makes a windows boot disk that will boot into it's own windows environment. you should be able to delete the file then.

It also has spyware and anti-virus tools, but they need to be updated before you make the disk. ( http://ubcd4win.com/howto.htm will tell you how ) Also, the anti virus scanner is expired. you can find the antivirus update at http://ubcd4win.com/forum/index.php?s=ab3784c09a5a4d8e7dd6ce86305b6051&showtopic=6298

We use it where I work and it does the job very well, However some virus scanners detect some of the components as viruses. specificially the keyfinder program which can recover windows and office product keys, and a program that hides the desktop building scripts. They are safe, but some virus scanners detect them cause they can be used for malicious purposes.
lol, MDRFalcon, did you download devkitpro yet?

It appears as a trojan to most antivirus software. Happened to me and made me really frustrated for about a week trying to get rid of a trojan that wasn't there.
Liazon wrote:
0x5, MDRFalcon, did you download devkitpro yet?

It appears as a trojan to most antivirus software. Happened to me and made me really frustrated for about a week trying to get rid of a trojan that wasn't there.
Ah yes, I remember helping you with tech support on that one. We were quite worried until we found multiple accounts of devkitpro showing up as a trojan.
No, it wasn't from that.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours