I wrote a javascript script that will open a random page from a list of urls as a popup, stay open for a few seconds (user defined), then close the pop-up and make a new one. FF and IE both give errors that it is slowing down my comp and should be stopped. It runs fine in Opera, but it makes my harddrive start spinning and slows down everything else on the comp. I keep getting 403s when I post the code. You can view it here.
http://geocities.com/soad1101/3link.txt

You can run the page from here:
http://geocities.com/soad1101/3link.html

Do you guys see what's causing this?
I don't know javascript, but my best guess is that your script is waiting for the window to close before the function returns, causing it to "hang" after opening a window. I'm not sure if there's a way around that, as thats not at all how javascript is meant to be used. Unless, of course, your goal is to make "the-most-annoying-page-ever"? (seriously, why the popups man???)
Hmmm... Maybe I could have an onload popup, wait a few seconds and have the page refresh, then kill the window onunload. I'll go play around with that and come back.
foamy3 wrote:
Hmmm... Maybe I could have an onload popup, wait a few seconds and have the page refresh, then kill the window onunload. I'll go play around with that and come back.

...and you have just figured out a way to make it EVEN WORSE Rolling Eyes Razz

I must pose the question of WHY do you even want such a script anyway? It has no use whatsoever that I can see...
EDIT: rewritten.

I changed it from opening and closing popups to opening one onload, refreshing after so long, then closing onunload. It works fine.

btw, is there anyway to make a pop-up open in a new tab instead of a new window if using a tabbed browser?
that is a browser setting, you so some people get new tabs, some get new windows.
Indeed. I have mine set to do tabs unless I specifically right-click and choose "open in new window".

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours