Preface:
Perhaps you have, and perhaps you haven't heard that you can produce a cool effect if you play Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon with The Wizard of Oz. Recently, I decided to see what all the rumors were about so I did some research into the history of it. Thanks in part to wikipedia, this article, and this list, I decided that I would give it a shot. Unfortunately, I didn't have a copy of The Wizard of Oz, so I looked into purchasing a copy. For the same price I could get a perfectly synced version so I opted for that. After watching it, I have to say it does indeed live up to the hype.

Review:
Most people that know of this, but haven't tried it, consider it to be the result of drugs and boredom. While that may be true (and probably is), drugs are not in any way necessary to appreciate it (although I have heard that they enhance it...not that I'm condoning illegal substances...Evil or Very Mad).

From a sober standpoint, the experience blew me away. The music fits the mood perfectly. It transitions at the correct points. It's like the music was written for the film... The best part is the tornado scene when Great Gig in the Sky is playing. The changes in mood of the song perfectly match the film and it's an amazing feeling. Not only do the mood and transitions match, but the lyrics often correspond. For me, this was one of the least important parts, but it does play a role, for example when the black witch appears, the song money is playing and the words "black, black, black..." are sung. Also, "the lunatic is on the grass" is played when the scarecrow is acting crazy.

So, is it worth your while? First off, you must be a fan of Pink Floyd. Also, you have to be willing to let go of your sceptiscism It's one of those things where it isn't any fun unless you allow it to be. Sure it's almost certainly not really meant to do this, but it fits well enough to make it a fun experience.

Instructions:
If you don't have Dark Side of the Moon and The Wizard of Oz, you might as well buy an already synced version.

If you have both, here's where it gets fun:
1. Start the Wizard of Oz
2. Put The Dark Side of the Moon in your cd player
3. Put the cd player on repeat (it will play 2 and 1/2 times throughout the movie)
4. Start The Dark Side of the Moon just the 3rd (final) roar of the lion. If you have done it correctly, the music should come in just as the directors name is seen.

Final Thoughts:

I did this for nothing more than my own enjoyment. Maybe some of you or all of you have done this before and maybe I'm just way behind the times, but I feel that I should pass the word along.
darksideofoz.net has some clips so you don't even have to do any work Wink
Youtube has them to, but to get the full experience, I prefer to put the dvd into my tv, turn off the lights and relax. To me, it's much better when it's not on a computer.
I went to darksideofoz.net, read some if the information there, and watched some clips. It's kind of creepy. O_O
Fascinating, Chipmaster! And thanks for the link, Kllrnohj, I enjoyed reading that exhaustive list and viewing the clips.
we did this in band classs once when our teacher was bored...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours