Hey foamy, take note of what he is saying about his motherboard... I keep telling you, the extra cost is worth it.... Very Happy

@Chip: have you tried the remote it came with or the MP3 playback? (or whatever that feature was)
Kllrnohj wrote:
Hey foamy, take note of what he is saying about his motherboard... I keep telling you, the extra cost is worth it.... Very Happy

@Chip: have you tried the remote it came with or the MP3 playback? (or whatever that feature was)

$80 for features I will never use Rolling Eyes

EDIT: Well, actually, that is pretty cool...
Heck yeah. If I had more money when I was putting together my machine, I would have gotten a P5W, but I was on a tight budget, so I got Gigabyte's DS3 instead.
Kllrnohj wrote:

I tried the mp3 playback, but it didn't work. I probably messed up some more jumpers so I'll open it up soon and take a look. The remote needs a battery that didn't come with it and that I don't have, so I'll have to buy it before I can use it.

On another note, now that I got this new computer, I wanted to reformat my old computer and put ubuntu on it. I tried two ubuntu SHIPIT disks, but it was no use. The install kept freezing at exactly 52%. Puzzled as to why this was, I thought it might be the new ram I added recently or even the graphics card as I had been having problems recently where my computer would randomly crash (well, I would have no visual output from the computer, but it was still on). I took out these components and it still wouldn't install. Then I tried installing windows just to see if I could get any operating system on there, and it worked. This has to be one of the only cases I know of where windows installed on something that ubuntu failed to. I'm not sure what to do, as I definitely want ubuntu installed on this computer. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?
The ubuntu graphical installer isn't real great. I much prefer doing a text-mode install, and I've had a couple times where that hung, so I've actually set up a bare-bones system and installed ubuntu-desktop a couple times.
Chip, I have an EXCELLENT idea. Since its a secondary PC, go ahead and try installing Gentoo on it. I'm sure you'll love it. You will learn so much linux knowledge in such an astonishingly short time, you'll be amazed Smile

And since its a secondary system, you don't need to worry about having to reinstall (which you probably will have to do. I've had to reinstall Gentoo a few times because I messed up the install so horridly that it was faster to just reinstall than to try and fix it)

Go ahead, you know you want to Wink
That's actually a great idea. I just need to get a few things straightened out with the two computers now. I've got an older router in my room, and windows on both so I'm definitely going to have some crazy lan parties! With the DDR ram that I tried to force into my new comp, my old comp is running very fast and so far I haven't found a game it hasn't been able to handle (maybe not as well as my new comp). I've even got Ghost Recon Advanced War Fighter running on it with the highest settings.

I assume that having Windows and Gentoo on a computer isn't a problem? If not, I'll look into it, but I DEFINITELY think that I'll need some major help as I've heard stories about Gentoo.
hehe, no, its not a problem. Both ubuntu and gnome use the exact same GRUB bootloader. I've used the Gentoo GUI installer, it worked fine for me the few times I've tried it. It will even give you enough binaries to have a GNOME system up and running (I highly recommend you do this, as otherwise you will be spending ~14 hours compiling everything - which you will still end up doing, its just that you can be surfing the web and playing games in Gnome while you do it, rather than staring at a command line wonder wtf is going on Very Happy )

Just do yourself a favor and READ the gentoo handbook (perhaps while the install CD is downloading). It mentions some very important concepts that you'll be glad to know before installing.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 6 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours