elfprince13 wrote:
ummm yeah, WiFi support is still kinda sketchy with linux, are you using ndiswrapper or bw43xx?

Its not that WiFi support is sketchy, its that manufacturers aren't making linux drivers. Razz
Native Ralink drives included in the distro.
Ubuntu uses both ndiswrapper and 'native' drivers - are you positive its not using ndiswrapper? But you might want to see if there is a newer version of the drivers (as in from their site, not necessarily in the Ubuntu repository)
yeah, I was going to give a look at installing drivers from scratch there for it.
Alright, here you guys go. A video of my computer struggling like mad to keep up Smile

http://www.kllrnohj.com/movies/test-0001.mpeg

Here's whats going on. Final Fantasy VII is being emulated (I own both the game and an original psx) spanning the two monitors, using OpenGL for graphics, along with partial transparency. Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (DVD) is playing full screened on the second monitor (using, of course, OpenGL for video playback instead of XV). Quake4-demo is then run, and this is where the sh*t hits the fan Smile The video starts going crazy, with random speedups and skips. Note that what really happened was more along the line of random pauses and slowdowns, although a large chunk of that was xvidcap's fault, as without it, everything was surprisingly playable, although still somewhat choppy. The black box that appears is a documented bug that happens when a new window is attempted to be created, but there is no more video RAM left. I have no idea what error message that was Very Happy

RECOMMENDED PLAYBACK SETTINGS FOR LINUX: "mplayer -vo gl2 test-0001.mpeg" (the xv extension doesn't play nice with video over 2048x2048 - and this one is 2560x1024)
Sweeeeeeet. Cool
Woot! Another FFVII junkie! My one friend make a giant buster sword out of pvc pipe and camping foam. It's amazing. And I just bought FFXII 2 hours ago. Very Happy

Oh, and I'll comment on the video in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Razz
foamy3 wrote:
Oh, and I'll comment on the video in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Razz
0.o That sucks, dude... My condolences go to you for your incredibly slow connection.
/me goes looking through the Gentoo Wiki.
I'll let yous know if there's anything new to note, especially regarding AIGLX/Beryl vs. XGL/Compiz, although I doubt it.
Hmm... I can't get the video to run. WMP gave an error. I then converted it to avi like you said to do for the last one, and divx wouldn't take it, either.

Oh, and on linux, mplayer and xmms both froze up with it as .mpeg on default settings, but that comp isn't really up to benchmark specs Rolling Eyes

EDIT: Oh, and Kerm, is the z80 Beryl port going to be built into DCS or will it be an SE? Very Happy
Foamy, change the extension to .avi and then try it in WMP.

And XMMS isn't really a video player, you shouldn't have even bothered trying that one. Try Xine instead. And what was the output of mplayer when you tried to run it with the settings I said?

It could be that your computer doesn't like the high res, here is a possible alternative

mplayer -vo gl2 -xy 800 test-0002.mpeg

Also, try changing 'gl2' to just 'gl'
As an SE, foamy. Very Happy And Kllrnohj, I too was unable to view the video.
Kllrnohj wrote:
And XMMS isn't really a video player, you shouldn't have even bothered trying that one.

I use it for all of my other .mpegs. I usually just use mplayer for .avis.

I'll try out your mplayer settings when I get home.
KermMartian wrote:
As an SE, foamy. Very Happy And Kllrnohj, I too was unable to view the video.

Alright, seriously guys, its just a DivX file in AVI format. Since it was saved as a .mpeg (my guess is because DivX is an mpeg4 format), though, thats why I uploaded it as a .mpeg - I am having no problems whatsoever viewing it with mplayer (I also tried xine, totem, and vlc - none worked) SO just use mplayer!! (there is a windows port for you unlucky fools stuck in windows)

If I make another video, I'll try using a different codec and/or container

@foamy: Don't ever use XMMS for video again. It sucks at video playback. Its not even that good at audio anymore, either. It was, in fact, completely removed from the Gentoo Portage due to its old, crappiness. Try something newer like Rhythmbox or Amarok for music, and stick with mplayer for video
VLC is great :p it runs on most platforms, and plays just about anything.
elfprince13 wrote:
VLC is great :p it runs on most platforms, and plays just about anything.

...except this. I just tried it (mplayer is still better Razz)

Quote:
kllrnohj@kllrnohj ~ $ vlc test-0001.mpeg
VLC media player 0.8.4a Janus
[00000285] avi demuxer error: avi module discarded (invalid file)
[00000266] main playlist: nothing to play

And for those interested, here is what file says about it

Quote:
kllrnohj@kllrnohj ~ $ file test-0001.mpeg
test-0001.mpeg: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 2560 x 1024, 10.00 fps, video:, audio: (mono, 22050 Hz)
it played it fine on both our family mac and my windows computer...
Hmm... Ok then, VLC is also a decent choice to try and play it in. mplayer is still the recommended one, though Very Happy
It played fine for me with Kllrnohj's command. I do think that VLC is the king of all media players in terms of breadth of playability. Heck, I played my trash can in windows with it.
Very Happy I play half downloaded files all the time...it treats everything as a stream, so you can watch while ya download....and you can use it for file conversion, hosting video servers, and all sorts of things. its called VideoLAN for a reason.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours