some18kanal0n3 wrote:

not sure if the freebie accounts comewith MySQL, the one I pay for comes with one MySQL $5 a month for 6GB's of storage)

LOL

I get 25 Sqls for that price... Razz $60.00 per year Very Happy

@Kerm: Past experiences with phpbb have left their marks... Still not sure I want anything to do with phpbb... :/
Fryed: its not IF specifically thats bad, its the "We'll host a forum for you" services in general that suck.

@tifreak: phpBB has improved dramatically, however if you want to avoid it altogether SMF is an excellent choice.

if you Window's users want an ftp client and dont like the command line, I recommend Filezilla, the one built into Explorer has some issues which you'll probably notice pretty quickly.
true, SMF was a nice system, as is IPB on its own (but IPB2 costs lots of money, and 1.3 is hard to find, if not impossible). If anything, I hope to have some major Rivereye CMS progress too in short time, but then again, robotics may make that hard.
I got the forum up, btw. It's at http://otbp.freehostia.com/phpBB2/. Don't sign up yet, though.
rivereye wrote:
true, SMF was a nice system, as is IPB on its own (but IPB2 costs lots of money, and 1.3 is hard to find, if not impossible). If anything, I hope to have some major Rivereye CMS progress too in short time, but then again, robotics may make that hard.

I has a copy of (I think) 1.3. it came with phpDev.

@calcy: yay!!
You guys can join now if you want to...
How would I make a good home page? I have a crappy one right here, but I think there's a need of some change...

Edit: Even a Basic Elite image would make it a little better, Kerm... Wink
start by reading w3schools.com tutorials on HTML and CSS. That will get you a lot of the info you will need.
Been there. Done that. I just want to know if there's something I can upload that has news, etc.
oh, ok.

You can look at some CMS's that are out there, but in my opinion, if you were going to go with a CMS, the forum should be integrated into it.
What does CMS stand for?
content management system.
there's an API include file you can access that lets you grab all the announcement posts, and post your own. go look at how my announcements forum is set up + my index page (not in the forum directory), if you like it I can show you how I do it.
I think I'll wait. I wanna install phpBB2 mods!! Very Happy
calc84maniac wrote:
I think I'll wait. I wanna install phpBB2 mods!! Very Happy

that is a phpBB2 mod Wink written by mwah. (not the include file, what I did with it)
[removed]
xlibman wrote:
I've lost my post content because I've accidentally hit F5 while typing my post so I've lost about 15 minutes of typing here. I would ask to quit trolling about Invisionfree. I don't know about other forum hostings but from experience IF is not that bad. I find it funny that people see IF and other software only for their flaws and doesn't even bother taking time to check the advantages.

First of all, i find funny that you complain about invisionfree ads being sheisty while cemetech also have ads as well at bottom of page. They aren't that annoying, they even match the page colors as well, so they aren't disturbing at all. It's not like the pop ups and banners some free hosting put in your pages.

Second of all, at least on Invisionfree you have good support, and they even have a support forum, where you can ask support directly, and if staff is gone atm, even the users can help you. At least they won't accuse you of stuff you didn't do like Kv83 PAID hosting provider did to him about MaxCoderz: they charged him bandwidth he didnt even use, and when he emailed them it took a while to get a reply, and they could barely even help at all. If your board get deleted (which is impossible unless you use "zelda" as your password and give admin access to everyone) you can get it restored because they do nightly backups of everything. yes it take a while for that last one, but it's because there is 5000 n00bs per day who send them support ticket saying "ZOMG MY FOURMZ GOT HAXED!1!eleven" as they used a bad password, and atm they are working on Zetaboards so that take most of their time. Normally you get an entire forum restored in two week if it get deleted, with other hostings you have no guarantee if your board is gonna even stay more than a month online at all (MaxCoderz forums get deleted at least once per month, everytime i go here the kvince83.tengun.net directory is missing), plus I've heard about lot of people experience about cheap/free hosting about their board getting deleted due to server problems and never got restored.

third, Invisionfree isn't even gonna use that stripped down IPB 1.3 at all anymore in a few months, as they are switching to this: http://beta.zetaboards.com/test/ (this is a beta, they have some features disabled because they are still in the debugging purpose, and most finished features are in the Admin CP). And even in its current state it's not even that bad. You can't use php in the code, but you can use php scripts ran from img tags. At least it's secure too, unlike phpbb who is filled with security flaws and if you forget to update you can get cracked, like it happened often with maxcoderz and once with detached solutions.

Fourth, Omnimaga didn't got any spambot ads in two month at the time i am writing this, and i have no anti-spambot mod at all installed. I do what is needed to prevent them from posting as much as possible and it works. Now I delete like two bot per week, which doesn't even try posting. MaxCoderz use phpbb and today they got hit by at least 10-20 spambot posts. And you don't judge a forum software/hosting by it's spambot population anyway. Those bot post everywhere they can, if they can post at all.

Fifth: Hosting is reliable considering what some other hosting offer: only 16 MB for user file upload, but thats a free forum hosting anyway, not a file hosting/site hosting. UNLIMITED bandwidth, forum can be any size, so if you are lucky and your board grow to insane proportions even if you reach 1 billion posts invisionfree is not gonna charge you anything at all, even if you get 700000 visits per day. There is some downtimes, and they ALSO got server crashes, but this happened only 3 times in 5 years. and the second time they managed to get all posts/members restored, only files attachements from forum members in their posts were missing, and in return invisionfree increased the file diskspace limit to 32 MB on this server. Invisionfree servers doesnt have 100% uptime, but other hosting doesn't have 100% uptime either, and free ones or cheap ones are slow as hell as well in most case (if anyone remember cemetech back in middle 2005)

Anyway, calc84maniac is free to use whatever he wants. If he feels like venturing into phpbb installation (which is not too hard if you have nice hosting), go ahead, but I hope you backup very often, because sometimes those hosting aren't always reliable. They can decide to shut down free hosting at any moment and only provide paid hosting without warning. If you don't feel ready i would suggest you start an Invisionfree board, and me, tifreak8x and rivereye will be willing to help when we come here. I've had issues with invisionfree sometimes, but if it really sucked I would have moved to something else a long while ago. Now I have been using them for almost 2 years, and my TI forum is approaching 40000 posts quickly, and it's still here, it never went down for more than 12 hours hosting wise and people seems to be fine with it.

You are free to disagree with this post, but please provide valid arguments this time, so this won't be considered as trolling of any sort

well then, lets knock off those points one by one.
with Cemetech the ad provider is chosen by Kerm, he can change them if he doesnt like them, and HE gets the money. Im not knocking IF specifically, but free forum hosting in general.

nightly backups: phpMyAdmin was invented for a reason, as was the phpBB backup/restore database button. and phpBB has excellent suppor ton their forums as does SMF

phpBB hasn't been insecure in at least 5 version numbers. SMF has never been. and phpBB3 (forthcoming soon) pwns even Invision 2 like scramjets pwn biplanes.

spambots? what are those? the reaosn Omni doesn't get spambots is cause you guys shutdown registration for a while Rolling Eyes you host yourself and you can do anything you want to prevent spam registrations without shutting down registrations, and without going along with the maass solution all the spammers are concentrating on

re: hosting, find a host that doesn't look like something the russians dragged in, and you are probably fine

[edit]
oh and as you said, even PAID hosting can suck, its all about who you get, so dont rag on free hosting.
true, my paid hosting sucked (anyone remember the constant downtimes for a while on rivereye.net, and then when I think that domains are included with my purchase (as robotical world implied somewhat), they say I have to pay extra for a domain name. Then, when I asked some stuff on Tech Support, it took days, if not weeks sometimes to get things solved if you couldn't catch the online one if and when they were on. Right now, I have lost a lot of faith in paying for hosting for a web site.
Well, I'm using freehostia, which seems purty darn good so far. It has free and paid plans, so it probably won't shut down without notice. And the connection has been almost flawless. It supports php, mysql, and ftp uploads. 'Nuff said. Wink
[removed]

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours