xlibman wrote:
Quote:
nightly backups: phpMyAdmin was invented for a reason, as was the phpBB backup/restore database button. and phpBB has excellent suppor ton their forums as does SMF
True, but it take some of your time, and often people forget about it, one month they decide to not do backups at all, and then they get cracked and cry. As for support, you are right, but I was talking about support related to the hosting as well, which most hosting providers lacks, even paid ones.

not to be harsh, but their own fault, not the hosting.

xlibman wrote:
Quote:
phpBB hasn't been insecure in at least 5 version numbers. SMF has never been. and phpBB3 (forthcoming soon) pwns even Invision 2 like scramjets pwn biplanes.
But is phpbb3 really secure? It's gonna be the first release, I'm sure there will be security holes found by users in the first year, like the second version of IPB. As for SMF I never used it though so i cannot judge, but you may be right

actually no its not the first release, because phpBB3 is an opensource project they've been doing betas for a while, I thing its 3 public betas and 4 release candidates or something like that. and much of the current phpBB2 codebase is actually backported from 3.
xlibman wrote:
....spambot stuff

the bots haven't realised its back up Wink

xlibman wrote:
Quote:

re: hosting, find a host that doesn't look like something the russians dragged in, and you are probably fine
those are often the slowest x.x

oh yeah, and as Ive said im sure IF is fine for people who dont want to be able to customize their boards and such, but it sucks otherwisae and I dont usually provide reasons when asked for opinion, only when someone disaggrees and it becomes necessary
[removed]
xlibman wrote:
imho IF doesnt sucks,

Wink nor in the theirs

xlibman wrote:
and its false that you can do nothing with their board. you can customise it a lot, just not as much as you could on your own hosting where you can modify the php code

board templates != new features

xlibman wrote:
mess with chmod stuff.

xlibman wrote:
Remember 4 months ago I was banning people who kept bashing free forum hosting to force me to switch or to convince me to switch from Omnimaga so they stop? well be glad I stopped doing this 6 months ago Neutral
I dont, but I am. nor am I in anyway attempting to influence your decision over Omni. this is in no way related to Omni. this is about what calc should get for his own hosting, and my opinion about why he should. your opinion is your opinion and you're free to have it, but dont get forcing it on other people or using your authority on other sites to blackmail friends into not voicing their own, especially on a site where your only authority is your reputation
[removed]
xlibman wrote:
you can install php mods on if forums via img tags, and javascript, now check your yahoo IM window as I'll not be continuing discussion here

which have no access to the site database....and which can be hacked via simplistic XSS.

javascrit = meh.
EMCAscript has no place in a forum, simple as that.
CDI wrote:
EMCAscript has no place in a forum, simple as that.
Welcome back, CDI! I'd have to agree with you on that statement.
i have been trying to install phpbb2 on my site and i am having trouble. I uploaded everything and in the install document it said change the permissions in config.php but when i open up config.php the file is empty. How can i get it so i can actually change config.php
um, once you upload, there is a GUI installer to do this. Let me pop on AIM and see if I can help you.
rivereye i do not have aim do you have mirc because that is the only one i have.
lafferjm wrote:
i have been trying to install phpbb2 on my site and i am having trouble. I uploaded everything and in the install document it said change the permissions in config.php but when i open up config.php the file is empty. How can i get it so i can actually change config.php

how, praytell, are you "opening" up config.php? And you can't change the permissions by opening it anyway
lafferjm wrote:
rivereye i do not have aim do you have mirc because that is the only one i have.

I do, but the question is, what server/channel do you use?
i opened it up by right clicking on it and clicking open. and how would i change the permissions.
depends, windows or Linux server? Localhost or remote?
well i finally got a forum installed thanks to kllrnohj being in a good mood and telling me how to change permissions. So thanks kllrnohj

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours