http://rougebob.com/Running-a-Windows-Partition-in-VMware.htm

really cool article. Might try and give it a shot on my comp, as it would rock to be able to do.
have you seen WinBuntu yet?
no I haven't. Will have to check it out.
Just for visual wtfishness, I love the last screenshot on that page. XP in gnome.
yeah, but if you have the right machine, with this, when do you really need to go back to Windows (but if you do, it will be like you left it).
what would be cooler is running a windows partition in KVM Very Happy

Slightly-OT: Does VMWare support virtualization yet?
Great guide.

I used this to set up vmware at my friends house who has ubuntu and windows so that he could use his previous windows installation. He happened to ask me if there was any way to avoid rebooting the computer when he wanted to use windows. He never expected me to turn around and say, "yes."

I have two words of advice for anyone doing this

#1. You need to press Ctr-G for it to grab input. I couldn't figure this out before grub automatically booted into ubuntu from within ubuntu.

#2. Don't be stupid like me and quit out of vmware while it's booting an operating system. Especially if it's the one you're in. I did this and it totally corrupted the ubuntu partition at my friend's house and I'm now here reinstalling ubuntu because of it.
oh fun fun furn. I will have to make a note of that. Didn't they have the drive start after the MBR though in the guide?
rivereye wrote:
oh fun fun furn. I will have to make a note of that. Didn't they have the drive start after the MBR though in the guide?

Yes, they did - either chip decided not to do that, or didn't do it right Wink
I went ahead and forgot to quit out of fdisk properly (with "w") when I just set the boot flag so that wasn't saved to the partition table. Is it a problem to boot into ubuntu using vmware from within ubuntu? I thought the problem was more me quiting out of it while it was booting.

Oh, and when I finally did get ubuntu reinstalled tonight, I attempted to boot into windows with vmware but I got a blue screen of death that only flashed for a seconded before vmware rebooted. I'm not sure what the problem is, although it may be related to the fact that I don't have a complete vmware install (see this topic for more detail on that).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours