Hey, I have swivelgames.homeip.net up, but the only problem is...

My ISP wont let me open ports 80, but I opened port 8080 and I cant get DynDNS to point to port 8080. It suggested to open port 8080 if I couldn't open port 80, but it wont point to it.

http://swivelgames.homeip.net:8080/ will work, but I would rather not have to add the port to the end of my url. Is there a way to get DynDNS to point to port 8080? I am using the Static DNS service.

I know elfprince uses DynDNS, but not sure if he was able to open port 80 or not.

Help?
No, you always need to specify the port.
my ISP does allow port 80.
So there is no possible way I can keep the port off out of my url? -.-

Thanks guys Smile

All I needed to know Razz
swivelgames wrote:
So there is no possible way I can keep the port off out of my url? -.-

Thanks guys Smile

All I needed to know Razz

Umm... You could always use a URL redirector, but those are annoying... http://www.kickme.to/index.php
true, a browser always expects port 80 to be used. Sucks that you can't use it.
Yeah. Well, I forgot about URL redirectors. Also, .co.nr domains are always really good I have found.

Free, no ads, etc...

Plus they have url cloaking. So its easy to make look like a real domain. Better than having the port number showing. To me makes it look taky, improfessional, etc.. Razz

Thanks for the help guys
But hosting from your home internet connection which blocks the common http server port *is* tacky and unprofessional. Smile
0x5, thanks allyn Laughing
Swivel: Are you positive its your ISP thats not letting you use port 80, and not the OS, router, or firewall? That seems odd that they would block port 80...
Another problem I have, is with PHP files. For some reason, when I goto execute PHP files it wants to download them.

The webserver I am using is NetworkActiv's Web Server. The reason I am using this and not, say, Apache, is cause it always takes up too much ram.

I do know that elfprince, you use a webserver that uses Apache, but has some other things with it. What is the web server you use?

Also, If anyone knows of a simple webserver that has the ability for me to use server-side scripting that would be great. Right now I am running my portfolio site off my computer. Hopefully I am going to get a new server soon that I can throw a bunch of stuff on and use it as my server instead of my reg computer. But untill then, I dont want people downloading my PHP files.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Swivel: Are you positive its your ISP thats not letting you use port 80, and not the OS, router, or firewall? That seems odd that they would block port 80...
No it doesn't. Virtually every ISP blocks 80 for webhosting, 21 for FTP, and 22 for SSH.
mine doesn't it seems. I was able to access my router at school via http. After I found that out, had that got fixed though.
swivelgames wrote:
Another problem I have, is with PHP files. For some reason, when I goto execute PHP files it wants to download them.

The webserver I am using is NetworkActiv's Web Server. The reason I am using this and not, say, Apache, is cause it always takes up too much ram.

I do know that elfprince, you use a webserver that uses Apache, but has some other things with it. What is the web server you use?

Also, If anyone knows of a simple webserver that has the ability for me to use server-side scripting that would be great. Right now I am running my portfolio site off my computer. Hopefully I am going to get a new server soon that I can throw a bunch of stuff on and use it as my server instead of my reg computer. But untill then, I dont want people downloading my PHP files.

I use Apache with mod_php, mod_python, mod_ssl, etc installed
Try ubuntu server if you have an old box. If not, have you tried XAMPP?
well, I recommended XAMPP, but then he told me no more apache. I think he is crazy. Servers inherently take resources.
rivereye wrote:
Servers inherently take resources.

Everything "inherently" takes resources. Smile
apache is the best you are going to get. If it takes too much RAM, then there is no way you are going to get an HTTP server with PHP, as PHP is probably going to use more RAM than apache will
Thanks, I'm using XAMPP right now, and it seems to be doing well. No errors yet and PHP is actually running correctly. Thanks alot guys, I will check on whether my ISP will let me use port 80. I have heard some just need to be requested.
Quote:

LightTPD is awesome, and very low RAM usage. In fact, sites like YouTube, ZShare.net, Sourceforge and upload.wikimedia.org are using it Smile

LightTPD + PHP as FastCGI is just as fast as Apache + mod_php5

KermMartian wrote:
No it doesn't. Virtually every ISP blocks 80 for webhosting, 21 for FTP, and 22 for SSH.

Mine doesn't... Although I'd never run SSH on port 22 due to people trying to brute force the password Razz.
Also, I wouldn't run FTP, just use SCP or SFTP over SSH Smile

My server's at http://server.daniel15.com/ Smile (for fun, check the reverse DNS of 60.241.80.44 Very Happy)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours