rivereye wrote:
freedom of speech can not be limited by the government

Yes it can! Read up on something like Schenck v. United States and Brandenburg v. Ohio when you have a chance.
ok, so I had a bit of misinformation, isn't the first time.
Well. If you went and said "[right to freedom of speech revoked]." And someone heard you say that...I'm pretty sure you'd be arrested. (Even though it's a threat...You still have your freedom to say it. Right? O well if you're stupid enough to say that, and you don't mean it. Then you should be locked up anyway. Razz So either way you would end up in jail.)
Groene07 wrote:
Well. If you went and said "[right to freedom of speech revoked]." And someone heard you say that...I'm pretty sure you'd be arrested. (Even though it's a threat...You still have your freedom to say it. Right? O well if you're stupid enough to say that, and you don't mean it. Then you should be locked up anyway. Razz So either way you would end up in jail.)

This is so fragmented I have no idea if you were trying to make a point or not...
Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Nothing in there stopping a person from revoking your right to speech.
rivereye wrote:
Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Nothing in there stopping a person from revoking your right to speech.

This was decided through a mixture of federal cases throughout the history of the United States. Smile
wait, Kerm...I thought you said we had freedom of speech. Now you're taking it away???

Sorry Allynfolksjr, I meant this...If you stated you were going to blow up a building with explosives in front of a cop. You would be arrested for it. If you have the right to speak freely, technically wouldn't you be able to say that? (I don't believe it should be that way, considering blowing up buildings is bad)

edit- I don't know who has this capability here, but I'm NOT HAPPY Mad . I want my freedom back. Grrrr..
Groene07 wrote:
wait, Kerm...I thought you said we had freedom of speech. Now you're taking it away???

Sorry Allynfolksjr, I meant this...If you stated you were going to [Dude, I just don't want Google to index us to these keywords. Razz ] in front of a cop. You would be arrested for it. If you have the right to speak freely, technically wouldn't you be able to say that? (I don't believe it should be that way, considering [same thing] is bad)
For the same reason that it's illegal to shout "fire" in a crowded theatre - yeah, it's free speech, but you're putting people in danger.
FIRE!!!

MUAHAHAHA!

I know someone who is going to blow up a building
You have the right to freedom of speech, except in cases of "Clear and Present danger," and also in times of war.

If something you says indicates, or could cause potential harm, then your right to freedom of speech is nullified.
Groene07 wrote:
Which basically means me. Razz And a few others, I suppose.

*Sigh*, silly n00b Razz. Kerm wasn't referring to JUST you. Note his "ten times over" part - I think I have provoked/fueled at least 10 "flame wars" here, and I have had a petition filed against me to "ban me from the community" for my n00b bashing ways. Trust me, you were far from the first, and I doubt you will be the last.

Re Freedom of Speech: There are many cases where what you can say is limited, such as the aforementioned "clear and present danger" and slander, but that doesn't mean you don't have freedom of speech.
I know I'm not the only one. Just one of the most recent Razz
i don't to fire up a war but here in portugal till the year of 1974 people just could say nothing they even are affraid of talking because the "pide" if people say something and pide suspects it even if it was not politics related they soffered torures... if the people don't get revolutionized against our czar "marcelo caetano" we will still with the same censor today... at that time everything that passes on the paper's and everything that people know or read was manipulated by "marcelo caetano" so we can't even imagine what is cencore... i just want that you notice how look we are today....

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 5 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours