Ideas:
- Make DCS replace Krolypto
- Password-protected folders
- Group files on calc could be read/created and browsed through and modified like folders, and folders could be added to groups. You wouldn't have to worry about losing your folders that you probably spent forever organizing programs into anymore and you could back your calc up or whatever from straight from DCS.
Insanity wrote:
Ideas:
...Password-protected folders...

So we can let our friends figure out a quadratic equation but ban them from playing Mario?! Rolling Eyes
But, yeah, it's great idea (not that any of it would likely fit in DCS w/o a third page); might as well let it replace Omnicalc and Symbolic while we're @ it! (Or better yet, let it replace TI-OS Laughing)
I've considered turning DCS into an OS many a time, but I always get checked when I realize there's no point, since only about 20 people would ever actually keep it on their calcs for longterm use.
Keep adding features. Implement your own grapher, along with table, 'calculator', formats, etc...
I probably woudn't ever use Doors for an OS replacement. Just a "complement" or "add-on" to it.
Xphoenix wrote:
Keep adding features. Implement your own grapher, along with table, 'calculator', formats, etc...

Or let Kerm keep working on DCS as a shell, and help Tari with LifOS (did I spell that wrong? Slap me if I did...) - there isn't any reason to keep "reinventing the wheel"...
Xphoenix wrote:

this has already been discussed. such things can be implemented in extra programs and have no use as part of the shell.
... Well, let's look at how hard it would be to 'reinvent the wheel', how big an accomplishment that would be, and compare that to it's corresponding value when you create a new 83+ OS. I might be the only one seeing a difference, but...

[/somewhat-random gibberish]
Well, my three main concerns so far are:
-Navigation: I want DCS a bit easier to navigate with. The 1-6 key shortcuts help out a lot, but what about doing the same for right-clicking?
-Stability/Compatibility: There have been some bugs in DCS and still are. Also, I think I noticed more problems with DCS on 84+/SE's than 83+/SE's, so you might want to improve your formulas to make DCS more compatible with 84+/SE's.
-Size: I know I have an 83+SE (so size technically doesn't matter), but it takes 2x as long to send the shell to another calc or from the computer. People with 83+/84+'s have even more to grumble about for size because of less memory.
Kerm has said before that he won't be jacking it up to 3 pages, you just need to tinker with the icons a little bit. Wink
Kllrnohj wrote:
Or let Kerm keep working on DCS as a shell, and help Tari with LifOS (did I spell that wrong? Slap me if I did...) - there isn't any reason to keep "reinventing the wheel"...

My thoughts exactly, and your spelling is fine. Capitalization is questionable, though. I usually refer to it as LIFOS (LIFO + OS/Last-In-First-Out OS), but it seems most other people refer to it as LifOS (Life OS).
I usually think it as LEEF-oss.
I think lih-fose
Truthfully, I have no problem with a 4-page shell (even though that is a little large...) even with a 84+. With an 83+ it might be a little large... I would use this as a replacement of the TI-OS (with some other features added).

So far, my list of things I want added:

-Hiding Programs
-Create new program option
-Password protection
-(If possible) ASM Library Smile

After some of those things are implemented, go for running Apps (if it will become an OS and if possible) That would be an ultimate OS!
Pugboy's ASM Library idea gave me this idea:
-A good, user-friendly on-calc assembler/IDE (Kind of like a more user-friendly version of the OTBP assembler)
Delnar_Ersike wrote:
Pugboy's ASM Library idea gave me this idea:
-A good, user-friendly on-calc assembler/IDE (Kind of like a more user-friendly version of the OTBP assembler)
Again, I think this is something that should be a standalone program, not part of Doors CS.
Pugboy wrote:
Truthfully, I have no problem with a 4-page shell (even though that is a little large...) even with a 84+. With an 83+ it might be a little large... I would use this as a replacement of the TI-OS (with some other features added).

So far, my list of things I want added:

-Hiding Programs
-Create new program option
-Password protection
-(If possible) ASM Library Smile

After some of those things are implemented, go for running Apps (if it will become an OS and if possible) That would be an ultimate OS!

...or let's do the opposite of becoming an OS and integrate NoS----! Laughing
I agree w/ Pugboy on everything (Library Cool!). The run-App program posted on UTI is a jumpstart on App support, though they should be separate from regular programs somehow (an option on the ^ menu?). Also, I know it's been discussed somewhere, but when you exit a prgm, it'd be nice if it goes back to the page where that prgm is on, such as in MOS.
App support would be nice but as a stand alone or SE and it would have to exit to DCS not to the home screen. and password protection has been worked on by a few people just never finished by any of them.
Yeah, I think a Krolypto kind of password protect would be nice. That's one of the few features that DCS doesn't have that MOS does. Rolling Eyes
Agreed. A SE for password protection is just to insecure.

And store the MD5 hash of the pass, rather than the raw pass, so it can't be looked up in the appvar!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours