No idea if anyone has seen this before or not, but it is pretty cool.

http://www.micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/powersof10/
Cool, but they totally stole the concept from the best video ever created, Powers of Ten.
Never seen it. Link?
Cool but not realistic... I have seen the atoms within an electronic microscope of electroes and the images should be grey not colored and the atom is composed 90% of empty space that is not what we see... So if they have tryed to put something great and realistic... please for the next time don't show the quarks as we cannot see them the maximum reached is 1 Angstron...
And while we're at it, individual DNA strands in chromatin are too closely packed to be distinguishable, but I don't care. Notice that nothing below the cellular (nucleus) is actually a picture, and while I'm poking holes in your logic, you need a STM (Scanning Tunneling Microscope) to see individual atoms; an electron microscope won't cut it.
It's just a demonstration, not meant to be 100% accurate.
How do you know they are gray? That is just what an electron microscope sees, not necessarily its true color (if it even is colored)
yah we don't know and i was referring to the electron microscopic before... not only electronic... we really don't know if it is colored but based on what we can see and based on chemistrics assume it's colored.. by the way chemistrics used colors to distinguish atoms when things get complex... And as i referred the maximum distance achieved was 1 angstron... assuming so that the electron is biggest than the foton we can maybe i'm not saying is true assume that it could be colored... but there are other methods to see...
They don't *have* a color since they're smaller than a single wavelength of visible light.
not trully we cannot assume that... not even that they are colored because color is cause d by an pigmentation... by the way if we see we are altering its state so we cannot really assume nothing... because the foton can be a wave or a particle by the fact we are seeing we are altering its state....
Our Physical Science teacher showed our class that, I really like it Smile
Yeah; at the very least it makes you think about our place in our universe. Gets you thinking... What little our place is compared to the galaxies, and how large it compared the small creatures down to protons, neutrons, and electrons.
I saw this once a while ago as part of a chain email (as a Powerpoint). Who would've known FSU came up w/ this?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours