KermMartian wrote:
darl181 wrote:
MSD8X gives me error 0C00. Every time. It just doesn't detect.
And BrandonW's most recent USB8X version says E 3115.
"The shield" ...do I have to cover the whole thing?
Right now I just have the individual wires covered with electrical tape.
The shield, the silver braided thing covering the inner wires, doesn't need to be around any of the individual spices. Just make sure you connect the shield from one wire to the shield of the other. Did you try a mouse with USB8x's demo application in case the problem is just an incompatible flash drive?

I tried USBTools, If that's what you mean. It didn't work.
And about the flash drives...
they're both formatted FAT.
First I tried an old Dane-elec 64MB. didn't work
After that, I tried a sandisk cruzer micro. Google "sdcz4-128".
I also tried a logitech USB mouse using USBTools.
Hmm, that's a pretty good indicator that something's wrong, then. Do you happen to have a photograph of the splice or the means to take and post a photograph of it?
http://pulse.yahoo.com/_ARIUFRQYLNN3ODH6IPI6HQVZXI/album/photos/234414
hopefully the link works
Hmm, didn't work. Changed something. It works mow
darl181 wrote:
hopefully the link works
Hmm, didn't work. Changed something. It works mow
The cable works now? What did you change about it?
Oops, not the cable, the pic. The cable still doesn't work.
So, is there anything missing or something?

EDIT: here's the pic just in case:

DAAH! still doesn't work.
i tried this too... but min worked. first off, make sure both plugs have 5 wires, not four. second, the two un-insulated wires should be connected to eachother. hope that helps
Wait--what uninsulated wires? Confused

Do you mean the netting/covering?
rcplanegy wrote:
i tried this too... but min worked. first off, make sure both plugs have 5 wires, not four. second, the two un-insulated wires should be connected to eachother. hope that helps
Yes, that's called the shield, I mentioned that to him already. Smile Darl181, the netting is the shield I've been mentioning. I see nothing especially missing from your picture.
One cable had the shield, the other Just had the rubber tube and four wires--no shield. How do I work around that?
darl181 wrote:
One cable had the shield, the other Just had the rubber tube and four wires--no shield. How do I work around that?
Urk, only four wires? You could try connecting the shield to the black (ground) wire, but as RCPlanegy correctly stated, it's much more likely to work if you have the shield on both ends.
Well, I'm not sure how much more I can mess with the Female end. The cord is getting short.
I'll have to look around for another extender (with the female end) or something...
darl181 wrote:
Well, I'm not sure how much more I can mess with the Female end. The cord is getting short.
I'll have to look around for another extender (with the female end) or something...
Aight, that's worth a try. In the meantime, you should post up a topic or two about your projects in the Your Projects subforum, and consider introducing yourself in the Introduce Yourself thread? Smile
Done.
I've found another extender cable. This one has the four colored, insulated cables; the metallic film around those four, and the woven wire threads around that film--the shield.
Is there a step-by-step instruction set somewhere, or can someone provide one?
darl181 wrote:
Done.
I've found another extender cable. This one has the four colored, insulated cables; the metallic film around those four, and the woven wire threads around that film--the shield.
Is there a step-by-step instruction set somewhere, or can someone provide one?
It should be as simple as stripping off about 1/2" or 1" of the outermost plastic, unbraiding the braid and twisting it to one side, cutting off the metal film, splicing the like-colored wires to their respective mates in the other connector, and then splicing the braids (shields) together.
Do I have to worry about the film, or can I just discard it?
darl181 wrote:
Do I have to worry about the film, or can I just discard it?
You can just discard the film, as long as you're careful about the braid.
So you have to weave them back together? What if you just get them to, sort of, tangle (as long as they're touching) then cover it with electrical tape?
I'm new to this cable stuff, and with some things one can never be too sure...

And what does the braid do? I know white/green is data and red/black is power, but what purpose does the braid serve?
darl181 wrote:
So you have to weave them back together? What if you just get them to, sort of, tangle (as long as they're touching) then cover it with electrical tape?
I'm new to this cable stuff, and with some things one can never be too sure...

And what does the braid do? I know white/green is data and red/black is power, but what purpose does the braid serve?
If you just twist the braid together, and it makes solid electrical contact, that will work. The braid is an electromagnetic interference/noise (EMI) to avoid both noise disturbing the USB communications and the high-speed oscillations of the USB data lines acting as an antenna that might disturb other nearby components.
Kind of like a Faraday cage?
SirCmpwn wrote:
Kind of like a Faraday cage?
Exactly like a Faraday cage. Needless to say, if the shields in the two halves of the cable are not connected, then you just have two open-ended Faraday cages, which are far less effective. If you keep the area without braid shield where you've spliced the white and green wires fairly short, you don't have to worry about terribly much EMI transmission from that area. However, if you strip off a lot of the outer plastic so you have several inches of exposed wire, then you'll have a problem. General rule of thumb, try to minimize the length of the splice.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours