Good point, encouraging users to search for the program they which to make before starting it (or submitting it) would reduce the number of duplicated programs.

Users' should be able to submit their programs even if it's on the site, but have a limit of "three program rejections due to replication" every year before their upload privileges are revoked for say, six months. That's probably too drastic, but it's an example.

As for SC goes, it'd need to be exported to a Flash to run smoothly, then there's the trouble of legally obtaining a ROM file for each calculator type. It's possible that we could sign a contract with Texas Instruments that will allows us to use the ROM's in an online emulator. Which would have to be a personal signature unless Cemetech, or which ever site this happens on, turns into a corporation and the Corporation signs off on the contract - which should resolve the going to jail part over the personal signature if the contract is violated.
Yeah. I was toying with the notion of having a daily submission quota (please, dear God, only 20 quadratic solvers per day). But that would probably just make a bigger (albeit silent) backlog... I can't think of any way to control the flow of submissions that doesn't just delay the onslaught. There has to be a way to regulate what gets submitted without making arbitrary distinctions (by user, day, quota, coin flip etc).

Hmm.
Hmm, I think the daily submission quota should be unlimited, I mean. If it's only twenty, and twenty quadratic solvers programs are submitted first, a good program won't be entered into the que. Perhaps a quota per category?

I'm still sticking with the certain number of file rejections before a user's upload ability is revoked. That way your not hurting anyone except the people who don't get a clue ;D
Dumb ideas, all of them.
allynfolksjr wrote:
Dumb ideas, all of them.

Please share yours, then. Smile
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
Dumb ideas, all of them.

Please share yours, then. Smile
No feeding the troll! Laughing
How about change nothing and let the archivers do their job? The queue seems to be processing again...
How about getting meaner archivers? Just reject any quadratic solver unless they have a hunch that it's _really_ good, and then TEST IT before letting it through.

How about REQUIRING that screenshots come with the program, so they have more time to actually examine them instead of wasting time taking screenies?

How about updating the interface? Ticalc is getting pretty dated, yet it seems like we have many web developers in the community. Wouldn't some of them like to give back to the site that was the jumping off point for so many of them?
jbr wrote:
How about getting meaner archivers?
And/Or Stricter policies.

jbr wrote:
How about REQUIRING that screenshots come with the program, so they have more time to actually examine them instead of wasting time taking screenies?
I've already suggested that, Kerm put it into affect here on Cemetech and sent word to TI-Calc. Not positive about the last part.

jbr wrote:
How about updating the interface? Ticalc is getting pretty dated, yet it seems like we have many web developers in the community. Wouldn't some of them like to give back to the site that was the jumping off point for so many of them?
As for this, I think the interface is smooth. The only change I'd make is have the title links direct you to the program page rather than a direct link to the file.
1) There's a folder for quadratic solvers already. So they can breed amongst themselves.

2) Screenshots are a little hard to do, since it's my belief that they're approved separately.
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
jbr wrote:
As for this, I think the interface is smooth. The only change I'd make is have the title links direct you to the program page rather than a direct link to the file.

Ok, but what about the forum/comment system? It's practically unusable! What about the search interface? It's sooo slow, and it can't even search a specific type of calculator's library.

A search function that allows me to look at any folder of the site, that would make me so happy. And please don't suggest google.
just responding to a really old post; one program per type would be terrible!!! Imagine writing your own alternative to a crappily huge program and having it denied?

they should just accept any zip that contains txt/program files, and automatically post it up after 48 hours (to prevent someone from using it for pure data storage). Then, allow admins to remove "bad" programs... thus, everything gets posted within 2 days, while terrible programs get weeded out. The uploadee should put it in the correct folder, etc... or face having their program removed by an admin (possibly flagged by user comments?)

Sure, there is potential for abuse, but then again those users can just be removed.... or have their ip blocked... =D

As I said before, a REAL forum would also help encourage user-activity. Whoever suggested sorting by "programming ability"; how would you actually do this? DO you realize how many n00bs would claim to be calc-gods once they got the hang of GetKey...?
Don't worry. I'm not happy the way google searches the website with those 'web site search' boxes.

I've rarely used the Search Function and what you said would greatly improve the search(es), you're right.

rthprog wrote:
just responding to a really old post; one program per type would be terrible!!! Imagine writing your own alternative to a crappily huge program and having it denied?

they should just accept any zip that contains txt/program files, and automatically post it up after 48 hours (to prevent someone from using it for pure data storage). Then, allow admins to remove "bad" programs... thus, everything gets posted within 2 days, while terrible programs get weeded out. The uploadee should put it in the correct folder, etc... or face having their program removed by an admin (possibly flagged by user comments?)

Sure, there is potential for abuse, but then again those users can just be removed.... or have their ip blocked... =D

As I said before, a REAL forum would also help encourage user-activity. Whoever suggested sorting by "programming ability"; how would you actually do this? DO you realize how many n00bs would claim to be calc-gods once they got the hang of GetKey...?
@The First Part: See post http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=77876#77876

As for the second part, your right about noobs calling themselves calc-gods Razz Which is why I opted for a post quality rating system, I'm trying to locate that post now...
Did you guys see today's archives backlog cleanout? It's a disgusting mess of useless BASIC programs. Two separate "Windows" programs in one day! Sad
KermMartian wrote:
Did you guys see today's archives backlog cleanout? It's a disgusting mess of useless BASIC programs. Two separate "Windows" programs in one day! Sad
And not a single program has a screen shot :(
Actually some of them do. They just haven't been placed on the program pages yet. Look in some of this zip files, you'll see.

EDIT: Ok, 10 minutes later, some of them already have screenshots on their pages.
I've noticed that the files that have been 'updated' have screen shots, haven't found any 'new' programs with screenies Neutral
Wow look at some of these
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/413/41324.html cmon a converter
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/413/41314.html wow
noahbaby94 wrote:
lolscription: "It gos to the "programs" file, so to open, hit the "PRGM" button on your calc, and go to "Graphfix" hit enter, and it should say prgmGRAPHFIX. hit enter once more, and it will say done. This clearly means that it's done. as usual when it says done just hit clear and it's good! Like I said before, REALLY HELPFUL! "
See, we need mean archivers who would reject that stuff Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours