Popped in today after not being here for less than 5 months and I had to reactivate my account Smile Not that it was hard or anything.

It's been a while cemetech. I hope to be back again after forgetting about this wonderful place for my first college semester. You should start seeing more of me again.
Chipmaster wrote:
Popped in today after not being here for less than 5 months and I had to reactivate my account Smile Not that it was hard or anything.

It's been a while cemetech. I hope to be back again after forgetting about this wonderful place for my first college semester. You should start seeing more of me again.
Yay, you've definitely been missed; welcome back. What projects are you working on these days?
Heh, I haven't done much in the way of calculators in a while. Right now I'm trying to learn how to use BSD. Kllrnohj's original push into ubuntu has changed my life in ways I can't even begin to explain. I've really got to thank you Kllrnohj. Since then I've splashed around in Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, Linux Mint, and now FreeBSD. Very Happy

Funiest part about BSD is how old all the packages are by default. I'm posting in Firefox 1.5 and i've been compiling dependencies of 2.0.0.11 for the past 7 hours xD Mainly cause it needed a new version of x.org which is no easy thing to build yourself.
Lately I've given up on gentoo and gone the lazy route, installing Ubuntu 7.10 Server on all the boxen I need to use. One of my boxes (Simms) has been kernel faulting around, and I suspect it might be an interaction of my hardware SCSI RAID card with some modules. Considering recompiling the Ubuntu kernel from source, something I haven't tried before.
Try debian!! It's by far been the best os I've used. I'm currently running a samba server, ftp server, ntp server and dns server on it!
Chipmaster wrote:
Heh, I haven't done much in the way of calculators in a while. Right now I'm trying to learn how to use BSD. Kllrnohj's original push into ubuntu has changed my life in ways I can't even begin to explain. I've really got to thank you Kllrnohj. Since then I've splashed around in Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, Linux Mint, and now FreeBSD. Very Happy

Happy to "help" Smile I personally wasn't a fan of FreeBSD - mainly because of all the out of date crap...

Oh, and Chip? Ubuntu *is* Debian Razz I don't like running Debian - its too out of date and slow to update. Ubuntu > Debian easy.
We just got a new computer and we installed Ubuntu 7.10 on it, but we're thinking of switching to Fedora, for a number of reasons, one of them being that we can't get the Java VM to work for the IDE that I use, it's really wierd.
Yup, Ubuntu is Debian-based; however, I haven't found that to be much of an issue one way or the other as far as stability, etc goes.
There is a possibility that a friend may be giving me an old xp desktop that I fixed up for them. If this happens, than I am probably going to just install Linux on it because I have wanted a linux comp for a while, but my lappy does not exactly have room for a dual boot (my game drive has only 5 gb free, I need to repartition the other 30 or so into it...)
hey chip, nice to see you back here.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours